Monday, June 8, 2009

Bookworm


I just read an article about the Amazon Kindle and whether its popularity is going to ruin the book industry. I always like to say that the ONLY constant in my life is my love of reading. Despite anything I'm going through or feeling, I can always read. I've read like a madwoman since the day I learned how, and my passion is equally spent on books themselves, the actual paper, the binding, the heft in the hand, the smell of the page.

But I have a Kindle, and I love it.

In the article, Sherman Alexie, the novelist said something to the order of: I saw a woman reading a Kindle in an airplane and I wanted to punch her in the face.

I'm rolling my eyes at that. My Kindle isn't taking the place of my books -- they're scattered literally everywhere and live, even, inside of my head. I think his comment is ridiculously pretentious -- the worst kind of whine.

I'm a bit of a literary snob, I suppose (although the photo above of the library book is actually the FIRST thing by Bellow that I've ever read), and a Luddite, certainly, when it comes to Twitter and some of the more advanced computer stuff out there. But the Kindle is really just like a book, to me. Perhaps a little colder, it hasn't taken the place of my "real" books. It's just added to them in a far more compact way.

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if Sherman Alexie will energetically refuse to have any of his works inside the little wonderful traveling companion that is Kindle.

    Like you, I love mine. And continue to buy books that I don't have to carry with me, but that surround me like good friends in our home. What Sherman Alexie needs to do is to take a course in anger management, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your bookworm sister.

    What the heck is a kindle. Is it that white thing. Let me just get out from under the rock I have been under. Looks cool.

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Renee, thank you. I'm going to google Kindle. Check out all of us Luddites hanging out in one spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I think books are next on the chopping block. First come newspapers, then come books. I think magazines will stick around a lot longer -- more pictures, slick, glossy (for the most part).

    Kindle is not going to single-handedly kill the publishing industry, but publishing on paper is a dying form.

    Same with DVDs, CDs -- all that stuff. "Hard" media is a dying form.

    Here's what E-Niner has to say:
    vnl,
    ;bvvl,nb,kngongfkgbv, ,kmb kogoogf9t

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was the recipient of a Kindle for Mother's Day/Early retirement, as we are moving to a very rural area in the midwest-the middle of Amish country. I view it as a way to take some of my old life (NY Times) to my new life. My aim is to simplify and beautify and own less things. The Kindle will do this-as the Ipod does for the music in my life. Just culture contained in a new form.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...