Monday, July 20, 2009

Mare Tranquillitatis


Today is the 40th anniversary of the first moon landing. The age of the Sea of Tranquillity, though, is 3.57 to 3.88 billion years.

On July 20, 1969 I was just shy of my sixth birthday, living on Long Island with my family. I remember sitting, crouched, in front of the television watching the grainy black and white images. I'm not sure whether my parents woke me up or not and I'm not sure whether my memory is accurate or blurry like the images we watched enraptured.

How beautiful are the words Moon and Mare Tranquillitatis, and Sea of Serenity, as beautiful as the thing itself, however cold and distant and lifeless, it remains tethered to us on Earth.

If one can conceive of such things, do they not exist?

3 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful words, indeed! My kids and I have been studying the Moon and we are enjoying the Apollo 11 footage. We also made mooncakes to celebrate! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born after the moon landing. Was listening to an NPR program yesterday and they were saying that the people who witnessed the moon landing are more in awe about the achievement than the people who were born after wards. For us, it is very literally history.

    Did you know that at this time half the world has witnessed a landing on the moon? Apparently the half who haven't witnessed the landing aren't too stoked one way or another to go back, which isn't a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...