Monday, July 27, 2009

Vacation

I haven't posted in a day or so in real-time because we left for Hilton Head Island, SC. Every year, around this time, my scattered family and all of our offspring meet for one week on this beautiful, boiling, muggy, alligator-infested island. It's usually pretty fun -- after the usual spats and make-ups and pointed daggers and retreats, it's a week spent catching up and watching the kids, the cousins, play with each other as if they were all best friends, not separated by miles and years.

This year is different because I'm alone with the boys. The Husband is back in LA, manning the Larchmont Larder, and we left Sophie behind for the first time. The week is always a nightmare for her and the lowest rung of Dante's Hell for me. She hates change and travel and heat. She's generally up all night, in the same bed with us. During the day she is largely confined to her stroller when we're not on the beach as the house here has no accomodations for her. Although I tell people that the principle of leaving one of your children home out of necessity is a tragedy, the reality is that it's better for everyone.

One of those impossible decisions we make that is more like a concession.

And while I hate that her cousins won't see her at all this year, I concede.

And when I climb into the bed at night by myself and go to sleep it feels good in an exhausting sort of way.

10 comments:

  1. will you take a bike ride to Harbor Town for me?
    I would love a picture of the Liberty Oak tree...
    and the beaches there are the best

    have to get there next summer...
    have a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so nice to hear that you are getting a break with the two time bandits and spare Sophie in the process. She will be happier at home, surrounded by the familiar and you and the time bandits will be happier surrounded by the famiglia. Everyone wins. Have fun, relax, and don't forget the sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a wonderful time with your extended family, & eat, drink and play. May Sophie & your husband enjoy their time, too. Blessings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh God, I totally understand that.

    I think it might feel like an extreme case of how every parent feels when they are trying to do the best for all of their children and then feel that not only do they get short-changed but so do the children.

    My wish for you is not to feel a moments guilt, because I don't think you should.

    Honestly sweet friend, I think this is where you all win.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. have a wonderful time elizabeth. you are in one of the prettiest parts of the country! besos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the one and only time i got some time from my now 5-year-old twins was a few months ago. leaving them was one of the hardest things i have done.

    once on the plane, i realized it was the best thing for all of us.

    may this time encourage you and fortify you for the blessed work of being your family's source.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are having a wonderful week, resting and recharging. If you ever come to Pensacola Beach, I'll come pick you up to come out here to the Longleaf woods for lunch, or join you in a walk on the beach, or both! The beaches are amazing here -- sugar white sand and miles and miles of a national seashore park adjacent to the main beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have a wonderful, muggy, alligator-lively time, dear. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys love playing in the Atlantic. Hope you and yours are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...