Saturday, October 24, 2009

Can I Have Dessert is over at LA Moms Blog


I am convinced that my two sons are addicted to sugar. At the very least, they live with the assumption that after every meal a sweet treat or two or three is available. And lest you think I'm a clueless mother, I'm perfectly aware that this is my fault. Now, I should preface this by saying that I used to be a pastry chef, and my husband is a chef and my children have always been exposed to really good food. And because our oldest daughter has a severe disability and requires a pretty stringently healthy, whole foods diet, we're very conscious of proper nutrition. After almost a decade and a half of mothering, I'm aware of what you're supposed to do and not supposed to do regarding food and rewards and eating and all that stuff. And I realize that dessert as a reward to finishing your dinner is not exactly de rigueur in these hyper-conscious parenting times, but I do it all the time.
Can I have dessert? my younger son, who is eight years old, asked me the other night. Oliver has become, of late, an extremely picky eater whose likes and dislikes are hard to keep up with. I tend to just ignore them, let him go hungry if he doesn't like what I've prepared. Continue reading this post at Los Angeles Moms Blog...

2 comments:

  1. With magical people like philosopher number 2 you have to leave it to the Fates as to when you must be consistent and when you must give up to keep sane. Beside, he is part Italian and you know our philosophy: life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetness and light darkness and bitter- all part of life. Hard to say no to the sweetness in the midst of a darkness.
    Beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...