Friday, April 2, 2010

Day Five

That's it. I've had enough. I'm ready for The Boys to come home. Even though it has been about six full days, it feels like forever, and they won't be home until Monday. Their room has never looked so clean (there's untold amounts of crap in every corner and crevice in this room), and it sort of gives me the creeps.



THREE MORE DAYS!

I miss them.

CHECK

I woke up this morning, did the breakfast thing with Sophie and then had a conference call with my job while K came over and did a music therapy session with Sophie in her room. Sophie does love music therapy, and it's amazing what K can get from her during these sessions. Tentative dancing, some give and take and real response. A calming down or loosening up. Smiles.

old picture, but one of the best!

CHECK

Sophie and I went to Santa Monica for an appointment with our osteopath. Dr. Johnson has a remarkable, calm way about her and really worked on Sophie's back and head. I've written about it before, but osteopathy has been a remarkable healing method for all three of my children. I even moved out to California in the late 1990s so that Sophie could be treated regularly by a famous osteopath in San Diego. When the boys were born, they had their first visit to Dr. Frymann as well, at eight days old. I credit that newborn treatment and the subsequent well and sick baby check-ups throughout their lives for their knock on wood good health (no antibiotics, ever!) and dispositions (especially as babies). I always give advice to moms with newborns that before you go down the inevitable ear infection-antibiotic-eartube route, see an osteopath. I'm a little nuts about it, actually. If my damn insurance company would help me out, I'd visit the osteopath more often because Sophie is always so much better overall when we do.

CHECK

Sophie and I went to the beach in Ocean Park! It was a beautiful day on the coast -- blue sky and warm sun with a gentle breeze. We walked a bit, barefoot in the sand and then headed to our favorite Beach Shack Cafe and met a blogger friend -- YES!!! -- for lunch. I will keep her identity secret but we spent a few hours talking and talking and talking. She is a strong and beautiful woman and I just feel so blessed to know her.

CHECK

Headed home -- tired and missing the boys.

CHECK

11 comments:

  1. I totally know the feeling. I just left Mia for a sleepover with my sister and the twins and I feel like I left my head somewhere.

    It is nice that you've had some alone time with Sophie, though.

    So interesting about the osteopath. I'm more than a little ambivalent towards western allopathic medicine, though it seems to have become a vehicle for me to connect with people in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day - except for missing the boys. So glad you got to meet a blogger IRL. I thought of contacting you when we were in the desert, but it's rare that we venture farther than a half hour's drive; the guys just want to stay put, and I try to respect that. Maybe some day...
    I hope you have a great evening and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my old osteopath in CA. We don't have one here, but she was great, especially when they kids were babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. popped in for a moment to see the news. your blog looks so nice. I love the new pic

    ReplyDelete
  5. A blogger friend? They exist in the flesh? How wonderful.

    It gives me heart to read that blogging can lead to such wonderful events.

    soon your boys will be home it seems and life will go back to 'normal' or what must pass for normal. i too miss it when my kids are away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All mermaids love music, that is how the world falls in love with them, by their wonderful sounds. And I miss the philosophers too. I love the quotes, the photos, the depth of their thinking at their age. Oliver's wicked sense of humor most the time unintentional I am sure. Time to come home.

    But I am happy you are having some time alone with Sophie as in girls time. Isn't truly spooky when the boys' room is clean? When my son went to College I ended closing the door to his room because it truly made me feel so weird to realize he wasn't there and the clean room was a daily reminder.
    Hugs from here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. I've often thought that mothers have a radar which keeps track of all their ducklings and when one or more of them is gone off to be somewhere else, that radar system keeps beeping a warning which gets louder and louder as the days pass.
    It's a visceral thing.
    But try to enjoy these last few days. Try to ignore the beeping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids have been gone for 2 days to Grandmama's house - only 40 minutes away - but I miss them!!! The house is too quiet too clean too boring :)

    I wish you a very special Resurrection Sunday .... filled with hope and the hope of joy ..... (((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it weird walking by their rooms when they're gone?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...the sound of silence... You're filling the time with restoration and the seconds tick by,the boys will be home soon.

    And what a wonderful day for Sophie too. Music, healing, the BEACH. (smile)

    I loved the sunlight Sophie series. Great masthead.

    Any new beach pictures? I have a weakness for your mermaid at the beach pictures.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...