Saturday, August 28, 2010

An Ordinary Saturday in Los Angeles

The sky was blue; the air was a sunny seventy degrees; I was nursing a faint hangover (two cocktails) and the boys were clamoring for something to do. I had the brilliant idea of exploring a new neighborhood, namely, downtown Los Angeles. We'll go downtown, I said, to LA Live. We'll hang out at the ESPN building and you guys can play arcade games while I sit, with my eyes closed. The boys were psyched. I also bought tickets to Nanny McPhee Returns and picked up one of their friends.

We ordinarily NEVER go downtown, especially to see a movie. What I didn't realize is that the Emmy Awards are tomorrow. And guess where?


the red carpet

It was a crazy maze of machinery, hundreds of "workers" -- what do they do, really? -- gold statues everywhere --  a whole lot of hullabaloo.


The weird thing is that my kids, having grown up here, were completely unimpressed and unfazed. I literally had to make them stand for a photo. I think that's a good thing, actually.


And Nanny McPhee Returns was outstanding. I cried several times during the movie, I loved it so much. Even if you don't have children, I highly recommend it.

6 comments:

  1. I saw Nanny McPhee Returns on the plane en route to England, Elizabeth, and loved it. Emma Thomson is terrific in the lead role and that big warty nose of hers is unforgettable.

    A warty nose that appears and disappears, like so many other things in life, if only we could recreate them and then be rid of them as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny to have boys - psyched to hang out at ESPN all day :) .... I look forward to seeing Emma Thompson as NMcFee again - she's amazing - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live in such different worlds, Elizabeth- how is it that we are so much the same?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun day. I just can't get past that tooth hanging out of Nanny McPhee's mouth. It drives me NUTS! LOL! But my grandkids loved the movie. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll put it on the list!

    The jury is still out on the venting thing, I know I always feel better after I've vented to a trusted friend, but do they feel worse? I need to ask my BFF that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon your blog and wondered? The kids unfazed by the set up for the Emmys. Not a big deal to them at all.

    And I wondered, do all the kids and adults in L.A. walk around unfazed by everything? The endless crime and poverty? The horrible and broken public schools? Non citizens doing the labor nobody else wants? The great wealth and poverty divide. The idle rich? The pretent middle class which is a paycheck from being poor.

    Are we all blind in L.A. It's not just the Emmys. We need to be honest, we are all blind in this city.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...