Friday, November 5, 2010

To all the haters and lovers


The wisest words I've read all week, the words that float around my own brain and find no form as beautiful as this:

The people who have made the greatest contributions to change for the better do not live to see the full manifestation of those changes, but they do it anyway. Because they care, because they are far thinkers, because they passionately believe in what is right. Even when great and fast changes have been made it takes a very long time for us to sink into them and feel them. President Lincoln didn't just say, "I'm going to kick it up a notch. BAM! I freed the slaves!" and then everything was equal. It took people time and time again to fight and pray and speak and march and die and new people to be born in a different world to make an even more different world and still it is not perfect. That change is still happening.
I voted for my President because he spoke of change, but also because he is smart. I voted for him because he loves his family so clearly, and therefore I know he is capable of love. I voted for him because he speaks of health before he speaks of wealth and because he stands tall and is proud in his body, as I hope he is proud of our nation. Because I am not a foot or a hand, but I am my whole body. And I am not one person, I am a family, I am a city, I am a nation.
It took us a very long time to get sick, and it may take us a very long time to get well, and I am sure as hell not going to damn the man who I believe is going to fight with all he's got to make us better. No matter how long it takes.


May at all writey then.

16 comments:

  1. Goosebumps! Thanks for sharing.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good words. Thank you for sharing them.
    I keep thinking that all I can do is the next right thing in front of me, as best I can perceive it. I think it may be all any of us can do, but it is enough, and it will eventually move the big boulder forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I say? I think she is one of the most amazing people, thinkers and writers ever. And the fact that she's my daughter doesn't even matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I could, I would give our president a hug ... I know he's suffering through all of this ill will directed at him ... Very much like Lincoln in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--the best thing I've seen on this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Elizabeth. You have such beautiful boys. their eyes resonate with life and intelligence, the sensitivity of their mother.

    I have visited writey's blog, too. Such fantastic writing on a vital subject.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, May. And thank you, Elizabeth -- for sharing. This made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, May. And thank you, Elizabeth -- for sharing. This made me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the writer wrote well. I applaud the thinking. I wish I shared it. I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another request for a "like" button.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...