Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Treasures


The sun was pouring through the dining room windows this morning as I spooned oatmeal into Sophie's mouth, and it deflected off the treasures I have piled on my desk in the kitchen. Photos of each of my children haphazardly arranged, a postcard of Dostoevsky about which a friend asked is that your lover? and while she was joking I was not when I replied, yes, actually. The calendar of pastries is propped up behind the tiny teacup filled with inchies that Kim sent me, next to a tiny smooth rock covered in a perfect crocheted coat from lovelyworld. Henry swings in the perfection of ten months old, behind him rises the tower of power with a garden on top, constructed twelve years later, for you, mom, do you like it? The cookbooks speak of diets never tried and ancient comforts, The Peanuts Lunch Bag Cookbook a relic of a happy seventies childhood, an apple whose top is cut off, the fruit scooped out and mixed with mayo, raisins and celery, then stuffed back in, the top a hat. Beyond, the green outside, the creeping bougainvillea that grows despite. Like treasure, despite.

15 comments:

  1. Treasure and treasures. I surround myself with them too.
    Beautiful, lovely. Just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday and today. You're wise to keep reminders of your treasure in view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We need our treasures. We need our places that become shrines. Thank you for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love treasures and looking at others treasures as well. PS have you seen this?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVu4Me_n91Y

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now, I love every single one of your treasures. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dostoevsky, huh? My nephew is working on his PhD in Russian Literature. On a recent family vacation, while the rest of us frolicked on the beach, he sat huddled over a stack of books, mumbling in Russian. I will have to discuss your lover with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful medley of images
    artistically placed

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me happy to be part of your happy place. XO Maribeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still life...every once and awhile to capture a space in ones home and really look at it, think about it...what memories, or reason is it the way it is? In the end it says much without speaking!

    Delightful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent collection! It's pretty fun how much these collages say about who we are, isn't it? Thanks for letting us in to your world for a moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your treasures. Love the prose as well as the visual. you make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...