Sunday, September 25, 2011

I'd rather read this than that

from Maurice Sendak's  In the Night Kitchen


This:


"I want to be alone and work until the day my heads hits the drawing table and I'm dead. Kaput," he says. "Everything is over. Everything that I called living is over. I'm very, very much alone. I don't believe in heaven or hell or any of those things. I feel very much like I want to be with my brother and sister again. They're nowhere. I know they're nowhere and they don't exist, but if nowhere means that's where they are, that's where I want to be."


--Maurice Sendak




That:


The company known for its progressive politics is now giving money to the Heritage Foundation, the American Enterprise Institute, the Competitive Enterprise Institute, the Republican Governors Association, the GOP firm The David All Group, Crossroads Strategies, the Republican Attorneys General Association and the Republican State Leadership Committee, among others. On Thursday, Google and Fox News cosponsored a Republican presidential debate.


-- from Google Goes Red on Huffington Post




It's Banned Books Week. 


Read a banned book or give one to your child to read for the first time.


In fact, the news is so gruesome nearly every day that I'm headed for my proverbial hills to read poetry, perhaps a copy of Sendak's In the Night Kitchen, too.



8 comments:

  1. If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed. -- Mark Twain

    Stick with poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and this here 'This', Elizabeth. What wonderful sentiments from Sendak, to be left in the end with our siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I just feel so hopeless about this country. Well, mostly.
    Thank god for people like Sendak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We crack up, no pun intended, at this book. Nothing like a little tiny penis to get the kids rolling on the floor!

    In my children's bookstore, that I dream of owning one day ... I'll shelf tons of copies of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't agree more, Elizabeth...I told a journalist friend from CNN the other day that I can't watch the news without a glass of wine to dull it. I love the idea of introducing Annabelle to a banned book -- she's 12, what's a good one to think about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh. Okay, I'm officially switching to Bing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry Gross's interview with Mr. Sendak was one of the most touching and honest things I've ever heard. I was in Vroman's the other day and paged through Bumble-Ardy, his new book. Beautiful and full of fun and angst and whimsy and survival.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "and fell through the dark out of his clothes"- an apt description for the way I feel most days. Bare, confused, tumbling and discombobulated. I'm gonna go get me some Sendak.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...