Monday, March 26, 2012

Passion, Nuts and Wise Words



I gestate humans, you do not. I know how it feels to be pregnant. You do not. I know what happens to a fetus in a womb. You do not. I have carried three fetuses to term. You have not. What I experience when I am pregnant is not empathy. It is permeability. The fetus is me. And the state is you, apparently. But, no matter what you say or do I have fundamental human rights. What makes you think that you, who cannot have this fully human experience, can tell me anything about gestation or how I experience it? Especially when you compare my existence and experience to that of brutish animals. 



...


This is not about freedom of religion. If it were, we would, for example, allow Christian Scientists to refuse to pay for coverage of life-saving blood transfusions for employees. Religious freedom means I get to choose whether or not to be religious and if so, how. It does not mean that I get to impose my religion on others. Paying for insurance is part of the way we compensate employees, even when they use their insurance in ways we don't agree with and are in contravention of our own personal beliefs. I think that it is stupid, dangerous and immoral to chain smoke, especially around children whose lungs it irreparably harms. But, I still have to pay for an employee to have access to lung scans, nicotine patches and oxygen tanks. I do not get to say that my religious beliefs, which include keeping bodies as healthy as possible, make it possible for me to withhold payment of this employee's insurance. Guaranteed coverage of contraception and reproductive health care has overwhelming benefits for society, including reducing unwanted pregnancies and abortions. By inserting your religious beliefs so egregiously into government legislation and my life, you are imposing your religious beliefs on me. You don't like mandated insurance coverage for basic reproductive health humans with two X chromosomes? I don't like being bred by state compulsion like Mr. England's farm animals. I have a MORAL OBJECTION to being treated like an animal and not a human. You do not have to use contraception, you do not have to use birth control. But, that does not mean you have any right to tell me that I cannot if I choose. That is my right. 




....


In an 1851 speech in which she argued for equal rights for women, Sojourner Truth said the following: "The poor men seems to be all in confusion, and don't know what to do. Why children, if you have woman's rights, give it to her and you will feel better. You will have your own rights, and they won't be so much trouble." 


8 comments:

  1. Inspirational, Elizabeth. Those women of yesteryear were so brave and courageous. They paved the way for our rights, we must not lose them to religious bigotry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad there is you and blogging so I can know that not everyone in the U.S. is nuts. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How rapidly we seem to be sliding back to the "rights" bestowed upon women in 1851....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth,
    I would like to share this post on my face book page. Do you mind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just keep wondering why we women have let things get to this point. It makes NO sense to me. We should all be completely outraged at where things are heading. Completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, yeah, I'm a guy, but I completely agree. I'm going to go read this right away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So perfectly said. I have nothing to add.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...