Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Re-post, two years later


I posted this a couple of years ago and titled it "What I Want to Say to the Health Insurance Industry and Those Who Fought Against Healthcare Reform" -- well, here we are and here I still am, fighting the powers-that-be with that medication business I told you about a few days ago. I can only imagine what crap the Supreme Court is listening to at this moment. Yeah, we had healthcare reform and yeah, I still support it, but yeah, it didn't go far enough and yeah, the Republicans are fighting tooth and nail to get the whole thing repealed and then they claim they're going to start over which sounds to me like they prefer the status quo which would include placating the Catholic bishops and all that folderall about religious freedom and let the markets go free, which means the insurance companies which, similar to the Catholic Church, have a history of if not literally, then figuratively raping -- well, maybe I better just shut up and roll over, here on the first day of spring.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah what you said! I'm just sort of stammering with fits of range and dismay on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it! yikes! but, I love the picture to go with your rant - and the fact that it is minty gum somehow fits

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't shut up. If you shut up, they win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us should shut up. Canada, much of Europe, etc. do health care so much better than we do. The problem is that universal health care here in the USA would mean less $$ to corporate insurance which translates to less campaign donations. Never mind that the people would actually benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let the turkeys get you down -- and don't shut up and roll over! We all have to keep fighting this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with other commenters... mb bc so many are shutting up and rolling over, things are so bad. its brave people like you who stir the pot and make things change!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, being quiet is never an option! I want to share my favorite philosopher as I believe his words resonate with yours.

    The political prisoner in his cell, the hungry children, the homeless refugees -- not to respond to their plight, not to relieve their solitude by offering them a spark of hope is to exile them from human memory. And in denying their humanity, we betray our own.
    Indifference, then, is not only a sin, it is a punishment." Elie Wiesel, 1999

    The same should be said about the state of our health care system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admire you so much, Elizabeth, and I think you're at the top of the list of the smartest and most committed and funniest women I know. Rolling over has never been an option for you, I bet, even long before Sophie showed up in your life. I trust you to keep on fighting for what's right and to keep on noticing when things are just not good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire you as well.

    I hope that I don't take our Canadian system for granted, but I no doubt do of course.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...