Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Retard


Got your attention?

Good. May that be the last time you see the word displayed so prominently.

Today is the annual Spread the Word to End the Word Day. I've said enough about it, so I'm not going to say anything else. Read this for some perfectly perfect remarks about the word.


And read this, an essay that my ten year old son Oliver wrote all by himself as his submission to the No Name Calling Week contest:



 RETARDED” AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

By Oliver 

The word “retarded.” What is its beauty and what is its downside and what does it mean? The question remains. When I get home from school, I wonder to myself about some of my friends and just anyone in general who says the word “retarded” whether they really know what that word means. And all the times when they say it, are they sure that they know what it means and are they sure that when they say it, they are not hurting anyone's feelings around them? The question remains. People think the word “retarded” means dumb, stupid and lots more hurtful things. All of those words hurt my feelings because my sister is cognitively disabled, which means it's harder for her to learn than it is for people with a normal brain. She can't walk without help and can't talk either, but that doesn't mean she's stupid or dumb. She stills knows how to think and interact with other people; she is just different. When people use the word “retarded” as a put-down or a joke, it hurts me and my sister and all the people like her. I wish they would stop.

31 comments:

  1. It bothers me to no end when my kids ( some of whom are adults!) still use this word. I point it out every time.
    And will continue .
    I know them enough to know that they don't mean to be hurtful but still. No excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A standing ovation to Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Oliver.And your sister.

    Just read this to my boys before they head out the door this morning, hoping they too will continue to speak up for their sister, your sister and everyone else like them. Yes, different but never, ever lesser than.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what i have learned here and thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old is Oliver? I love him!! I love his use of 'the question remains'...

    You are raising such fine human beings, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bravo, oliver. and your whole family. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HUMANITARIAN : " a person concerned with or seeking to promote human welfare" , that's Oliver, a young humanitarian.
    Well done, Oliver !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bless you and that boy you are raising so well. Bless Sophie. She is a teacher for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully written by Oliver...he is one of the few among us all who really "gets it!" You must be so very proud of him...sadly, there are too many people in the world who don't have a clue or live in a state of "perpetual adoration of denial."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless that boy's heart, and you for developing such compassion in him. Rock on Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the expression on his face--so nurturing, caring. you got some really cool kids there, elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Oliver - that is so well said! What a strong young man and brother you are to your darling sister. I have never personally met you or Sophie, but through your Mom's blog (and her writing) I have come to know her as a beautiful and sensitive girl - with as much - or more love and courage in her heart - than many other people I know. And, I must add, I have come to know you as a funny, talented, loving and essential ingredient in your beautiful family. Keep writing. Keep talking. People are listening

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you, Oliver. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bog O rocks the house again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. RIGHT ON, Oliver. What a beautiful essay.

    Happy Birthday to Sophie tomorrow! I will be thinking of both of you (Mama & Baby Girl). God bless you - I hope it's a wonderful day of celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oliver is the Mac Daddy! Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love. To all of you, and especially to Oliver for his essay.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oliver said it so well!

    Also love that Elie Wiesel quote on your sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to give Oliver a big hug and tell him what a beautiful essay he wrote. I want to tell him how proud I am and I know how proud his family is.

    I'm not family or anyone he knows but what I do know is the power of words and thoughts and his rang loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eloquent words from Oliver. (And I wish they would stop, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't like the word either. Oliver rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love his writing and I love the photo of him working with Sophie on the iPad. Such lovely children you are raising. They will change the world someday. You know that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  23. As Ms. Moon said, Sophie is indeed a teacher for us all. It seems the word "retarded" is making a resurgence. For a while it was pretty much banished, but now I hear it occasionally. Not sure why that is, and I hope Oliver's sentiments make some inroads against it.

    Kids tend to throw around the word "gay" in much the same way, which is one of my pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't comment earlier, but I haven't forgotten this post. I'm sorry to say I grew up using "retarded", but I don't use it anymore, and neither will my daughters. I have so much hope for these new generations, and judging by your Oliver here, my hope is not misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
  25. He sounds like a poet! The question remains. Wow. Wonderful kid.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...