I found this outline of what the Affordable Care Act does and what it will do very helpful. It came from my House representative, Karen Bass.
Currently Available Provisions (since 2010)
- Covering preventive health services such as mammograms or colonoscopies without charging a deductible, co-pay, or coinsurance
- Immediate access to insurance for uninsured individuals with a pre-existing condition
- Eliminating pre-existing condition exclusions for children
- Tax credits to small businesses that cover at least 50% of their employees’ healthcare
- and more...
Changes Available starting in 2012
- Encouraging hospitals, Accountable Care Organizations, and Medicare to work together to improve the safety and quality of patient care
- Ensuring that doctors are paid according to the quality of their care, giving hospitals a greater incentive to continually improve how they deliver care
- For the full list of 2012 benefits
Changes in 2013
- Reimbursing over-the-counter medications under a flexible spending accounts
- Health insurance companies must spend a higher percentage of the premium on healthcare and quality
Changes in 2014
- Eliminating annual limits on covered benefits, so insurance companies cannot limit the care you receive
- Establishing affordable insurance exchanges and allowing you to compare health plans
- Learn more about provisions in 2014
Changes in 2015 and Beyond
- Paying physicians based on value, not volume
- Ensuring we continue to innovate and lower heath costs
- Excise tax on high cost employer-provided health plans becomes effective in 2018 to prevent discrimination
- More information about the future provisions of the Affordable Care Act.
And now, for your amusement:
|I'm concerned about the ring on his finger -- and who is that lady with the red nails?|
|This would definitely be me, if I were a nurse.|
|Looks like Little Red Riding Hood grew up to be a nurse and The Big Bad Wolf|
is eating her up!
And finally, this is for all my fellow care-givers:
|I could never resist a doctor who smokes.|