Wednesday, July 25, 2012

What's certain is what's uncertain





It's been my habit of mind, over these years, to understand that every situation in which human beings are involved can be turned on its head.  Everything someone assures me to be true might not be.  Every pillar of belief the world rests on may or may not be about to explode.  Most things don't stay the way they are very long.  Knowing this,  however, has not made me cynical.  Cynical means believing that good isn't possible ; and I know for a fact that good is. I simply take nothing for granted and try to be ready for the change that's sure to come.


Dell Parsons, in Canada by Richard Ford

8 comments:

  1. Wow! What a very apt description of the life process that we participat in...luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those cryptic, reaching for positive, posts where anything could be happening behind the screen. I know. i put up those posts sometimes myself. i hope you are well and that whatever change is on the horizon, or that you think might be on the horizon (because it might not be) is one you welcome, or at least can weather with your wonderful you-ness intact.

    I love you dear elizabeth. you are a powerhouse even though sometimes it might not feel that way in the living of it. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "All conditioned states are transitory".
    The Buddha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like this!

    And I loved "By the Iowa Sea" per your recommendation. What a great book! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this quote. love richard ford.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a freaking awesome quote because of the truth. Another quote 'truth is always subversive'

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...