Saturday, August 18, 2012

Who knew Italy was in my back yard?





Last night, my dear friend D showed me the canals of Venice. Despite having visited them a thousand years ago in Italy, I had not done so for the fourteen years I've lived in Los Angeles. It was quiet and pretty, a tad shabby but utterly charming -- not unlike Venice in some ways and profoundly unlike Venice in most -- but I declared that if I couldn't ever live there, I would have to visit a lover there before I died, and hopefully he'd take me out in the yellow gondola.

6 comments:

  1. My husband and son are there now! He is on a trip to visit relatives and decided he needed to leave the little village and start touring around and this was not part of the original plan. :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live very near there and when I go I too feel very far away. Beautiful pictures! S Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I remember visiting there when I lived nearby. It was so sweet and like another world from the cars and the people all buzzing about - peaceful there.

    Thanks for that nostalgic little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful! there is a similar experience to be had in Capitola, CA, with small beach houses hugging the river as it flows to the Monterey Bay. Each year that have a boat parade, The Begonia Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a documentary about the art scene there in the late 50's/early 60's I was surprised to see oil derricks at the end of the street---er, canal.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...