Thursday, June 20, 2013

Things the Dog Remembers




You're just a party girl who happens to be smart and very pretty, he lifted her ear and whispered, his breath hot. A real female always wears perfume, he told her as she walked down the stairs, her nails clicking on the fake Mexican tile. You need to suffer in order to feel real, he said, closed the book he was reading and insisted that she put on the collar and the leash and stay by his side. You wouldn't know how to be without them, the old doctor said and patted her head.

12 comments:

  1. I read a book a bit ago, "The Art of Racing in the Rain". All from the dogs perspective. Might not sound appealing to some but it was a great little storyline and it worked.

    Love to you my friend on this beautiful Southern California day. Thank goodness for the weather, uh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would he tell the dog she needs to suffer?

    I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. We all wear our own perfume. Not necessarily from a bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dog is beautiful, as is this piece of writing though the bit about the dog having to suffer stuck out to me. I hope everyone in your house is having a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what/whom might have inspired this? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. Short and punchy and beautifully write, Elizabeth. I'm so glad you posted.
    love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to write writ not write. Sheesh. My wv was Freedom :0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. This is thought-provoking and I'm still trying to figure it out. Is the dog really a dog? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know this is about the dog, ostensibly, but it still read so "Story of O" to me. And now I've said too much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me a lot of The Art of Racing in the Rain. Have you read it? I will never forget The Twins.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...