Thursday, August 15, 2013

Magical Realism




Sophie went back to school on Tuesday morning. I took her to the beach on Monday night as a sort of parting gift to summer. Sophie loves the beach, as you know, and when I let go of her hand, she walks straight for the water. I always think of mermaids and selkies when I see her pulled toward the ocean. I wonder if her discomfort on land, her life of struggle and seizures, is because she isn't where she's supposed to be. I like to think that Sophie breaks the rules of our "real" world. When I watch her awkward, labored gait, her tiny, inflexible feet, and her head tilted to the right, her eyes on the horizon as she makes a bee-line for the edge, I like to think that she might one day slip back into her natural sinuous self, greens and blues and grays, tendrils of hair, an effortless push off into ease and cool oblivion.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful girl of yours.

    Did you happen to see the video I posted yesterday of Zoey at the beach? Our girls, so similar with their pull towards the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so beautiful yes and yes my heart says yes it's true all of it.
    love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely--your words and your Sophie.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tribute to your gorgeous girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feels like a painting. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel this one to the very depths of me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This breaks my heart. I wonder about KT sometimes, what does she need to learn here. Probably the question is, what is she here to teach?

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is such a yearning in this post, and such poetry too. Tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous shot. i can't believe your gang has started school already! we still have three delicious weeks of summer vaycay left!

    ReplyDelete
  10. poignance, beauty and magic you are a true poet

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of The Big Blue, when the lead slips off into the water with the dolphins.
    Though I just perused IMDB and they brought him back in the American version, for some supposed happy ending.
    I was lucky enough to see the French version and they left him out there in the water, swimming free.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...