There are many things making me feel like I'm running off the rails this December. There are also many things that are giving me pleasure. Here are some:
1. Those Janis Joplin stamps. The package looks like a single record, and on the other side is a great big photo of Janis. They have Jimi Hendrix ones, too.
2. I heard this song on the radio yesterday, and it made me happy. It makes me cry a little, too.
3. This list of NPR's Maureen Corrigan's favorite books of 2014 gave me that overly-stimulated feeling that I still get when I go into a library or a bookstore and realize how many books there are to read. It's the good kind of over-stimulation, not the frantic one laced with anxiety that I get when I realize how much money shitty movies make during the holidays.
Sometimes You Can't Pick Just 10: Maureen Corrigan's Favorite Books of 2014
4. Yes, my house looks like one of those obnoxious Christmas shops in a tourist town, but I have several tableaus (if you will) that give me pleasure. Here's one:
Here's a close-up of the bowl and the weird baby that creeps some out but gives me pleasure:
5. I listened rapturously to the last episode of Serial, the podcast from This American Life. It was really pretty fantastic and highly addictive. It also saved my sanity in the car the last few weeks.
Reader, what's making you happy or giving you pleasure or helping to save your sanity during the Yuletide Season?