Friday, May 22, 2015

Books & Bakes Sneak Peak






Tonight is the fifth month of my Books & Bakes Literary and Food Salon. The May selection was the kooky memoir/cookbook Eat Me, The Food and Philosophy of Kenny Shopsin. I shook things up this month by asking people to bring a dish from the book in lieu of paying full price. It looks to be as kooky a line-up of food as the book was to read! I'm filling in the gaps with a main dish that isn't in the book and a dessert (Shopsin only serves milkshakes, as far as I can tell). Oliver took the photo above. I made Honeycomb Vanilla Ice-Cream and Brown Butter Poundcake. It'll be slathered with meringue and torched to make Mini Baked Alaskas. I got the recipes from Food 52, an amazing site to check out when you have a moment.

If you're in the southern California area, please think about attending one of my salons. Share with your friends, if you have a hankering to help my little cottage business grow. You might consider having me come to your home with your friends for a get-together, a change from your usual book club, a gift for someone or an office party. For more information on the June 22nd salon, see my other website. We're reading Toni Morrison's The Bluest Eye.

Wish you were here!

12 comments:

  1. You are the boss of me in all ways. Which is my highest compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you. Although I do not agree on the boss part.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful evening Elizabeth! And the best part of course was seeing you and peeking in on Sophie and saying hi to Henry and Oliver! You are all exactly how I imagined! The food was outrageously good and the other guests were fun. I will get to another one of your groups eventually. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne for your loving support! I am grateful for it and was so happy to meet you --

      Delete
  3. Oh your deliciousness knows no bounds! So good to know about your salons. I do wish I was near. I may read The Bluest Eye again, just to pretend. xo S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you ever get a hankering to visit southern CA, time it for one of my book salons!

      Delete
  4. Yup, what Miss Moon said, you are THE boss. That dessert looks like it should be illegal and the book!!! Didn't know about it. We saw a film about him and his place in NY a while ago. I loved it and him. We will make plans to go to one of your salons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would die and go to heaven if you and Tearful came. Please, please do!

      Delete
  5. From your Macrina Wiederkehr quote, "...beauty is waiting in every crumb." You are the boss of all of us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not know this book! I'm glad things went well (as you said in your subsequent post), and if I ever make it to practically the other side of the world when you're hosting a salon, you BET I will attend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...