Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Hedgebrook, Day Twenty




It's the twentieth day. I have yet to see an owl and am resigned to making meaning out of that -- that I've never seen an owl.

The writing is going well, although I am stumped on how to wrap things up with the book. I talked for a long time to one of my best writer friends and comrades yesterday, and she had some good advice.

Where are you? she asked, and she wasn't talking about place. I sat in the window seat with a pen and a notebook and tried to answer it, got up and typed a bit and around.

Where are you? is going to lead me to the end, I think.

Here's a poem by Leonard Cohen:

These Heroics

If I had a shining head
and people turned to stare at me
in the streetcars;
and I could stretch my body
through the bright water
and keep abreast of fish and water snakes;
if I could ruin my feathers
in flight before the sun;
do you think that I would remain in this room,
reciting poems to you,
and making outrageous dreams
with the smallest movements of your mouth?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, sigh...
    The owl is perched right there in your soul. I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recognize that guy in the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I am feeling especially blue today and I feel sad that you have to leave this place of peace and that you didn't get to see your owl. I am not sure if there is a lesson for you in not seeing your owl. Sometimes it is the littlest things that become so very important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know the show Adventure Time? It is actually quite incredible. Tonight we watched the one about the Cosmic Owl. In the show, if the Cosmic Owl appears in a dream, it means something in the dream will come true. The dream is prophetic. I can't help but think you saw the Cosmic Owl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that you are part of such an understanding and supportive community! You give so much to so many of us, in blogland, and beyond; I love knowing that the generosity is coming back to uphold and encourage you on your path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking us with you to hedgebrook, Elizabeth. I've loved seeing it through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must be hard to believe the Hedgebrook dream is nearly over.
    Thanks for the Leonard Cohen poem. I'm mad about his music and voice.
    P.S. Perhaps you'll score an LA owl (or is there no such creature?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have faith. You will find the ending you need, and you're not done yet. Perhaps the owl will show itself before you head out. Love that you reached out to someone to talk about the writing, and I can't wait to read the work that came about at Hedgebrook.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you hear them, the owls, at night there?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by to send you some peace and love to take home with you. I have no doubt that leaving such an enchanted and peaceful place is mixed with a desire to sleep in your own bed and see your family as well as sadness at having to leave. That is the way it usually works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm..."Where are you?" I like that. A meaningful question at any time, seems to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...