Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Boy is Finished with High School


I can hardly believe that my son Henry is finished with high school, graduated with honors and headed toward Gonzaga University in the fall. Good Lord. As they say, Where the hell did the time go? I am beyond proud of this young man and grateful for our relationship. He is charming and funny and joyful and intelligent, a tiny bit lazy which can also be interpreted as good-natured and has been the light of my life. And then there's his good looks. Good Lord.

I will miss him so much when he leaves us in late August, but I trust that our open and warm relationship will remain intact until he's an old man, and I'm a very old woman. That means I will always be right, of course, as well as wiser.

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Henry and my mom at the Baccalaureate Mass


My dad, Henry and my mom at the Baccalaureate Mass

My dad and his mini-me

Mom, Me, Henry and Dad at the Baccalaureate Mass


Trivia: Do you know who that dashing young man is behind my father and Henry above? If you guess, I'll give you a prize. He's a classmate of Henry's, and it was quite thrilling to meet him and his family at the Baccalaureate Mass the night before graduation. During the "Peace Be With You" in the mass, I shook his hand. Hint: the arm attached to that hand pitches a 100 mph ball.

My friends Dorie and Johanna -- our three children went to preschool together and have remained friends through high school. It's been an honor and a privilege to watch them grow up, and damn -- I'm lucky in friendships.

The view from the bleachers

See Henry? We buy leis for our graduates -- I think it's the coolest tradition!

Bird's eye-view of Henry receiving his diploma from principal

The family (minus Sophie)

I love him a lot




Henry and his gorgeous girlfriend 

My dad, Henry and Uncle Tony (my father's twin brother)

I love this picture because they're not fighting

Me and my mom (we seem to have the same chin)

Post-graduation brunch


Cupcakes and peonies for our Taco Toast Graduate Party on Sunday

Saint Mirtha is also an incredible chef
It's a wrap.

23 comments:

  1. So incredibly bittersweet. Doesn't it seem like you just dropped him off a kindergarten a couple of weeks ago. Am I old for saying how fast it goes? Well done, mom. You've done a good job. The nice thing about humans is our babies never really leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone in your family is good looking. And Henry's girlfriend IS gorgeous. Good for you mama! You guys did it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get these vibes ... musical vibes.

    Is the classmate a musician?

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, this is so beautiful. Your bright shining boy heading to college, look out world. I'm so very proud of him, not just his achievements but also his sterling character and good humor and kindness toward his mama and sister. And lord he is good looking. And don't sleep on Oliver who is incredibly good looking too, and who is becoming a man before our eyes. Your whole family is gorgeous. It's plain to see where your children get their good looks. Take a bow mama, and enjoy this milestone. (How could it have arrived already??). Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is such a huge day, for the student, of course, but also for his parents. When my boys graduated, I kept hearing Tom Hanks line from Castaway: "Look what I have created!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Henry! You are what we need in this world--set it on fire!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you and Henry! Really, to all of you as everyone appears to have had a hand in getting to this point. Thank you for sharing the experience (with pictures!) with your readers.
    Be well. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's not much to add to what everyone else has said because it's so stunningly obvious how gorgeous your entire family is and high school graduation truly is a real milestone. It takes a village and you have one. And yes, you and Henry will always have that same relationship and yes, you WILL always be wiser.
    Take great comfort and pride in knowing you have gotten this young man to this point in his life with grace and with strength and with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful for your family, to have produced such a young man! He's beautiful, inside and out. You should bask in your (well earned) pride. Congratulations all around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a day! Big congratulations all around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Mom and Henry, you done Good! The joy just beams out of these pictures. So happy that you had your parents there. x0x0x0x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoying the thrill through your photos. Congratulations all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all these photographs, but especially the one where Henry is in bed with his grandparents! what a Joyeuse time and all of your lives. He must be very excited to go off to college in the fall. It's all just the very best of times, isn't it? Well done Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and your wonderful son. The world is open and waiting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations to you and Henry! The world is lucky to have such an intelligent and compassionate young man. You and your entire family are blessed with good looks as well as hearts.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations! Such Wonderful Images of this Important Milestone!!! I Wish our Graduation Ceremonies could be held during the daytime for better Imagery but alas, due to our Hot climate they have to be done in the Evening so we all don't spontaneously combust! One of our Grand-Daughters Graduated this Month too and they too had the Lovely Lei Tradition. You have such a Beautiful Family... Thank You for Sharing such an intimate Joyful Moment of your Lives... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pure joy! I'm thrilled for you, and for Hemry. Enjoy the summer together and let me know if I can be of any help or support in the Gonzaga-mom department. It's a great place! Congratulations, Henry!🎉🎓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - my autocorrect keeps changing "Henry" to "Hemry," because I have a friend with that surname!🤣

      Delete
  18. Congratulations to all of you! Enjoy the summer with him and know that I'm only a few hours away from Gonzaga if he ever needs anything.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful, beautiful photos. Congrats to all of you. Wow, that's really amazing that he three of you stayed friends throughout your children's school lives. :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the photos. Congrats to Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Just love the recap and all the great pictures. Graduations are very emotional, for so many reasons! Hope you're processing it all with a good degree of peace and wine. I don't "know" Henry, but I feel as though I do, and I can tell you right now, he will thrive at Gonzaga. Approx. 1 million of my friends and neighbors have sent their kids there, and they've all loved it (and are hired). Go, Zags!

    ReplyDelete
  22. is the mystery student Hunter Greene?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...