Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The culture vulture's incessant barking




Dah-lings, tonight I'm going to see David Sedaris at UCLA. Every year I buy one ticket to a Writers Word series. I've splurged like this for at least seven or so years, and my seat is third row, center, right end. I know -- it's weird to do this by yourself, but I don't have many real-life friends who love the poetry and the literature like me, and The Husband is from Switzerland, prone to falling asleep at events like these given the workout he gets from The Mistress. Besides, from my high-falutin' seat, I can literally see the writers' pores if I squint, and when I heard John Updike several years ago, I nearly jumped in his lap I fell so in love. Sedaris comes every year, and with the possible exception of one year when he was more caustic than funny, I have rocked in my seat with laughter, holding my stomach, nearly in tears every time. After The Exorcist, a lot of laughter will be a good thing.

Sometimes, there's an empty seat right next to me on the aisle. If you're in the area, come sit and laugh with me.

10 comments:

  1. I would love to join you... alas, save for a few thousand miles, I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sit beside you and rock with laughter at David Sedaris' wit. It sounds like a perfect evening.
    BTW, I've never seen the Exorcist, either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm there, baby. I heard John Updike at FSU a long time ago. He was amazing. I would SO love to hear David Sedaris. He has practically saved my life a time or two.
    God. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sedaris IS a lifesaving writer. He is an angel straight from North Carolina. Love him. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have an absolute ball! If he weren't gay, I'd marry David Sedaris. Funny is better than good-looking any day! And irreverent is my favorite kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Sedaris's writing in The New Yorker, and of course his books. (I haven't read his latest one, "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk." A friend told me it's terrible, which seems hard to believe.) Anyway, tell us how the evening goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a great time. Just last night I was reading in the NYer about his (good) adventures with the French medical system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man, i am SO beyond jealous... have fun and tell us how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Jealous, I am it. On top of missing this, I also missed Anne Lamott when she was here. Hope Sedaris is a gas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. Have a great time. I'm like you, if no one else wants to go, but I do, I go anyway. This can only be good for your soul. David Sedaris has almost made me pee laughing at his books dozens of times. I'm envious but thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...