Thursday, October 19, 2017

The Gig Economy



In Ring Three of The Greatest Show on Earth:

So, in keeping with the general zeitgeist, Sophie will be driving Uber from here on out. That's because she needs to start pulling her own weight and stop taking hand-outs. She's a drug addict as well and needs to take responsibility for her actions. As her parent and primary caregiver, I do, too.

We just received notice that our private insurance company, Blue Shield of California, is jacking up our plan 40%. According to my very experienced and reasonable broker, it's due, in large part, to the sabotaging of The Republican President (that's what I'm calling him now as he was voted in by those people and is tolerated by those people and is supported by those people) over the last nine months. Yes, it's a whole lot more complex than that, and premiums for private insurance policies continue to vex the greatest minds, but that's what They should be working on. But, hey, what do I know? I certainly don't want the gov'mint coming between me and my doctor.

I've come to the conclusion that Sophie is over-medicated, that her brain has been damaged by long-term usage of benzodiazepines and so we must continue to wean her from it.

In the meantime, I will be shelling out even more of a co-payment for the benzo due to new health insurance rules that only allow a 24 day supply instead of a 30 day supply (something about the liquid form and not being able to open a bottle or give part of a bottle) and so that means more money for the drugstore and the drug manufacturer and the insurance company, more money because the drug, ineffective in controlling seizures, is powerfully addictive and could literally kill Sophie if stopped. We are, basically, slaves to it and to the whole shebang, the Greatest Show on Earth.

Hence, the Uber gig. Who's driving with us? We're thinking we can fill it with clowns and drive it over a cliff.

15 comments:

  1. This makes me so angry Elizabeth. Although the Uber thing did bring a bit of a sarcastic smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh for fuck sake, why can't he just call it Trump care and be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so angry. i am about to explode with the lunacy of it all. my god.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started listening to your podcast and you definitely have a dark sense of humour. I love it!

    Seriously, though. I am so sorry that this is happening. I still keep thinking I am going to wake up and this will all have been a bad dream. I wil then blog about it and everyone will laugh at the absurdity of T being fucking president.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the life of me, I cannot understand why anyone would support private insurance companies. Not only do they drain the lifeblood from families but I think that health care costs which have been driven to unbelievable and yes, obscene heights, drain the resources of our very country. The whole system is perverted and wrong and cruel while the CEO's make vast profits like the vampires they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're 100% right. For- profit private health care insurance is 100% WRONG! We need to blow up the system. Consumers are screwed. Yes, Trump caused THIS disaster but it needs a permanent fix. Health care is not a free market commodity.

      Delete
  6. You have a podcast? Wow, I'll have to figure that out!

    It's just evil when their fucked up thinking affects things like this. The rich get rich and everyone else goes crazy.
    Trump is the truly crazy clown. Wait, maybe we could push him off a cliff, sans driver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will certainly sleep better tonight knowing that Sophie will be pulling her weight rather than relying on the generous handouts now afforded her!! Just to insure that good sleep, I'm going to pour myself a brandy.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry. It's obscene. The whole thing. (Sophie makes a cool Uber driver though😘)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How often, in a day, do you say to yourself, "Fuck. My. Life."? Damn them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do I find your podcast? Sign us up for Uber with you. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know that long term benzo use could cause so much damage. I have a girlfriend in Australia that is suffering the after effects of Ativan use. Why it is still prescribed is crime.

    Looks like Sophie has her fuck off face on. Wonder who she inherited that from? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd Uber with Sophie any day. But we all have to get out of the car and put Trump IN it before we pull that last stunt you mentioned, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nightmare: that astronomical MRI bill and a 40% rise in insurance premiums!
    Over here, for a reasonable monthly fee, we all get full national medical coverage. Your posts remind me never to stop being thankful for our system.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophie expresses so much without saying a word. Thank you for giving her a voice during these nightmarish times. Your voices matter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...