Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Making Art, Making Cake, Making Love

Let the sunshine in
Photographer: Carl Jackson 


I'm excited to tell you that I have three pieces in the Michigan Quarterly Review. It's a special themed issue titled "Caregiving." I'm in pretty darn august company, including Suzanne Edison and Heather Kirn Lanier. The review has categorized my work as "poetry," but between you and me, they are really prose poems or fragments that appear in my larger manuscript.  You can order a paper copy or download a PDF for $10. There's some amazing stuff in there, and let's hear it for supporting the work and art of caregivers. I recently sent about 180 pages to an editor. I have about 3/4 of the first draft revised and am determined to get the last quarter done by the end of the month. The publication in Michigan Quarterly Review is such an honor —I've probably sent out ten things over the last couple of years and have had all rejections, so this gives me that extra kick in the ass that I need.

Maybe I'll have a book published before I turn eighty but probably not before the Disunited States turns from plutocracy to autocracy.

I guess we have to just keep doing the work. Making art, making cake, making love.

In other news, my fellow co-host and friend Jason Lehmbeck and I had the most profound discussion with two women on the Who Lives Like This?! podcast. Jennifer Siedman and Blyth Taylor Lord spoke to us about their own families and lives, about palliative care, bereavement and the remarkable organization Courageous Parents Network.  Even if you aren't a caregiver, you must listen to it. I beg you to listen to it. Please share the link, too. Remember: we're making art, making cake, making love.

Here's the link.

What are you up to, Reader?

MQR 57|4 Fall 2018



15 comments:

  1. Congrats on your published pieces, and on closing in on the end of your manuscript revision. I know it's a beautiful piece of work. And I love that photo of you that Carl took. What struck me when I first say it was how clearly he sees you, how clearly he loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a cool gig.

    My throat hurts today. I was screaming at the top possible level last night. Some pent up frustration came pouring out all over someone. I felt terrible that it came to that. Especially in front of my son. Today I feel hollowed out. Weird. I gotta figure out how to take some time off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo! I can't wait to read this issue. I've probably gotten twenty rejections so far this year. I'm holding off on all my poems and short stores to focus on writing a book manuscript. I've been putting it off for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a bit surprised Elizabeth and so proud of you! You're the smartest, hardest working, lady I know of. And I love beautiful Sophie's adorable hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good things! Yay! And what a joy to see you so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much Positive Energy, Congratulations! And I Love that Photograph, Nature was really showing out and you have such Joy in your countenance standing in that field of Sunflowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your pieces being published in Michigan Quarterly Review! You are such a talented writer and your work deserves to go far and wide. I look forward to listening to the podcast, (next car drive longer than 25 mins). <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many good things! My heart is full for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love coming here and reading good news. Yay!

    That is a fabulous picture of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many happy Congratulations! Love your picture, love your spirit! I am up to cleaning up the mess in our flooded basement that happened while we were away enjoying the glorious Utah mountains in full fall glory. Yin yang yes? Hope to listen to your podcast while I pull up tiles. The carpet went to the dump today. Baby steps.
    Hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! So sorry to hear you were affected by the hurricane — I miss reading your blog!

      Delete
  11. This is wonderful and you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!

    And that's a beautiful photograph from your time in Half Moon Bay with Carl. There's something sacred about Half Moon Bay. The comment I left with the sunflowers you posted previously was lost in cyberspace due to the problems I was having at my blog.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...