Sunday, March 18, 2012

Person Weight


The clouds were skittering over the Loyola Marymount baseball batting cages this morning where I sat on a ridge of cement while Henry practiced. It rained all day yesterday, and the grass was wet, the curb where I perched the only dry surface. The flag snapped in the wind, the chain pinging the pole, and the chink of the ball hitting the bat, over and over lulled me into lifting my face to receive the wind. A white-haired man walked up to and began patiently hitting a golf ball, over and over, on a nearby putting green and I looked out onto the expanse of green seeing myself somehow shed of any person-weight, flipping over and over like the pitch and the putt, hand springs and back springs I've never once done.

12 comments:

  1. Your soul can do amazing things when let free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After a rain, after being shut in the home watching the drip drops, out in fresh air at last..outside free to breath, dream...nothing could be more uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The best sentences orient us, like stars in the sky, like landmarks on a trail ... Only certain sentences breathe and shift about, like live matter in soil". Jhumpa Lahiri, in this morning's NYT

    I was right there with you, Elizabeth, "flipping over and over like the pitch and the putt."

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...sounds like an "out of body" experience; god, do we all need that once in a while to maintain sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. transcendent. a holy insight. hold fast to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poetry birthed from the routine. I'm loving it..

    ReplyDelete
  7. breathtaking. im so inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for transporting me this morning. You are a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot express how grateful I am that you share your genius.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And to think that without your son playing baseball (without a son), this one experience, with its details, would not have occurred.

    When parenting, we travel
    to places -- both literally
    and metaphorically -- that we'd otherwise have never even possibly considered.

    Thank you for this reminder.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...