Sunday, November 22, 2015

Advocacy While Laying Low

from Mimi and Dona
a documentary by Sophie Sartain

My college friend Sophie Sartain's new documentary is set to air on Monday, November 23rd on the PBS series The Independent Lens. Here's a link to the website for the documentary, and I believe it's airing at 10:30 pm.

As an accompaniment to the documentary, Sophie made this short video, highlighting two families whose children with intellectual disabilities will be aging out of the school system. My friend Michelle Wolf and her son Danny, as well as yours truly with our Sophie are both featured. I've pasted the video below, and you can also see it on the PBS Independent Lens Facebook page.




It was a wonderful experience and honor to help advocate for the intellectually disabled, their caregivers and family. Thank you, Sophie, for the work you're doing to highlight this pressing need!










Now I'm going to lay low for a bit. I'll see you soon.

16 comments:

  1. That looks like a great film. I've bookmarked the site and I'll watch it this week. Enjoy your laying low. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you be a center of calm and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already looking forward to seeing this piece, now even more so.

    Enjoy your rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see this. And Independent Lens is actually on my watch list! And you are so beautiful Elizabeth you are the real deal Holyfield. Smart funny gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to watching this in its entirety; in the meantime, may I just say, Elizabeth, you're a gorgeous woman. And I love to see Sophie smiling. You are such a physically beautiful family, all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see the documentary. I love all of the different pies your smart, strong fingers are in! Happy Thanksgiving week, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eager to see this documentary. This preview came out excellent. You and Sophie look beautiful, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, elizabeth!! i'm so grateful to you for opening up your home to us. i am such a fan of your writing -- please don't ever stop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great clip - so nice to see you and your family on film. I have a friend in LA who aged out, and has managed to begin living somewhat independently. I've known her since she was a baby. She's had a lot of support and assistance, which I know you give your Sophie. We''be come a long way but still have far to go. Looking forward to seeing the film.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take care of yourself Elizabeth and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all that you do to raise awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, a great clip, love that last line!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Over here, people with disabilities are ejected from the education system at 21 - our daughter's upcoming birthday. So your clip and the documentary struck a raw nerve with us - it helps to hear from others approaching the same dreaded crossroads.
    Do you know whether Mimi and Dona will be available to us expats?
    P.S. Enjoy your break but, gosh, I'm already missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great! Nice to hear your voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now you are in my living room. You and your dear family.

    XX Beth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now you are in my living room. You and your dear family.

    XX Beth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...