Saturday, July 22, 2017

Monterey Breach: A Drone Short Film



These two have been friends since preschool.

Once upon a time, a little boy named Oliver made a whole lot of money selling lemonade on the corner of our street. He worked diligently and saved nearly all of it and began bugging his mother about spending that money, all at once, on a drone. His mother declined because that's a ridiculous thing to spend money on and you need to save that for college until, years later, it was clear that Oliver actually did want a drone and intended to do great things with it. It's my money, Oliver said. You're right, she said with a sigh. He bought the drone.

Oliver and Joe have been making incredibly inventive films for years. Oliver is game for acting and doing the bidding of Joe who is a preternaturally talented filmmaker and editor. You really can't believe how good Joe is until you see his stuff.


The Bird Photographer took Oliver up to Monterey this week to do a little drone photography and some whale watching. I'm not going to say how jealous I am (for obvious reasons), but Oliver -- on his first real whale-watching trip -- saw just about everything a person could dream of seeing on a whale-watching trip. Breaching whales, lunge feeding,  Great White sharks, dolphins, etc. etc. I have yet to see a whale breach, and I've gone out about eight times which is privilege enough. I just love this state I've adopted as my home. It is truly glorious, and I'm so glad that my children are California-bred.

Oliver and Joe made this short film that they titled Monterey Breach: A Short Drone Film. It blew my mind so much that I think I'm going to have to lie about how I tried to get Oliver to buy that thing for years because I just knew he was going to make something great of himself with it. I told Joe that when he's a famous filmmaker, I'm going to tell everyone that he made short films with Oliver in my little bungalow long ago.

Make it full screen, turn up the volume and be wowed:

21 comments:

  1. I am a bit stunned. Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!!! I have seen whales breach and have been so stunned by it that I could not even write of it and I probably never will. Too holy. My Son The Photographer watched this and said both Wow! and Cool high praise from a rather taciturn boy. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blew my mind too!! Talented young men.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Money well spent. I see him going somewhere with this. Most excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an excellent job! That is DELICIOUS!. My son also made films beginning at the age of six, He settled on animation because it was so much fun and he did not have to deal with "actors"(groan)...This little film is fantastic, edited so smoothly, just glorious! Thank you so much ! Must show this to my boy , now a 30 year old man- working @ animation studios in Portland and loving it. Carry on boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Elizabeth! This is a glorious film and the whole experience of it blows my mind. On so many levels. I know you know. Thank you for sharing the talent of these two young men. I will remember this when they're accepting their academy awards. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe I told you Oliver was going to be great! I'm usually right about these things. This is just awesome and talented and cool. Money and life well spent. I think I have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Yes, I was Wowed, such Talent these two young film-makers have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is breathtakingly beautiful - the scenery and the film!
    Are those two guys at the end taking pictures them? I loved that bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extraordinary! I've now watched it several times and know will watch it again. Will definitely be sharing! Thank you and kudos to the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Lovely, every bit of it. Bravo Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those whales -- holy cow! So many of them! I've never seen whales like that. A terrific film -- Oliver and Joe should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it just me or could your son and his friends be brothers or even twins?

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much talent in one family! I just love all the photos - and now this video of Oliver's - that you treat us all to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome film. And, rven though I have witnessed both humpback and grey whale breaches... I'm still jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic! Makes me want to head to Monterey this very minute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW!!!! Damn California is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...