Friday, October 9, 2009

A Flu Manifesto




It seems like everywhere I look or listen -- whether on Facebook or blogs, the newspaper, soccer game conversations, telephone calls to friends -- talk of H1N1, the vaccinations against it, Tamiflu is all the rage. A while back, in late August, our pediatrician sent out a letter to all of his patients with his opinions and guidance. This is what it said:


I have seen more children and adults with influenza-like illness: 104 degree fevers, muscle soreness, sore throat and negative tests for strep, than in any summer I can remember. I haven't used the "flu swab" to test anybody, but I'm sure that many if not most of these sick people had Swine Flu. They all felt miserable, and they are all feeling just fine now.

Preventing outbreaks of this "novel H1N1" influenza may be a mistake of huge proportions. Yes, sadly, there will be fatalities among the 6 billion citizens of the planet. Tens of millions of cases of any illness will lead to morbidity and mortality, but this is completely (tragically) unavoidable. The consequences of not acquiring immunity this time around, however, could be really terrible and far outweigh a mass prevention program.

Here's my rationale for not using Tamiflu:  If (if, if, if) this virus circles the globe as the rather innocent influenza it now appears to be, but mutates and returns as a very virulent form of influenza, it will be quite wonderful and life-saving to have formed antibodies against its 2009 version. These antibodies may be far from 100% protective, but they will help. This is incredibly important but being ignored in the interest of expediency. 

In 1918, it appears that influenza A (an H1N1, by the way) did this globe-trotting mutation and killed millions. The times and state of medical care are
not comparable, but a milder parallel occurrence is possible. Perhaps this happens every 100 years or so, perhaps every three million.

Whenever possible, we should form antibodies against viruses at the right stage of their existence and at the right stage of our lives (For example, chickenpox in childhood and EBV/mono in early childhood. There are many other examples.) Getting many viral illnesses confers lifetime immunity, and very few vaccines do.

Tamiflu is a very powerful drug with little proven efficacy against this bug, and with its major side effect being tummy upset. I'm not using it at all. Psychiatric side effects are also possible.

I also won't be giving the flu shot to the kids and parents in my practice unless there are extraordinary risk factors.  I anticipate giving none at all this year.  I doubt that there will be any really large problems with the vaccine, but I also doubt any really large benefits. As I said, I think that this year's version of this particular H1N1 is as "mild" as it will ever be and that getting sick with it this year will be good rather than bad.  The chances that a new "flu shot" will be overwhelmingly effective are small.  

I consider this, and most seasonal and novel influenza A vaccines, as "experimental" vaccines; they've only been tested on thousands of people for a period of weeks and then they'll be given to hundreds of millions of people. Not really the greatest science when we're in that much of a hurry. Yes, one can measure antibodies against a certain bacterium or virus in the blood and it may be associated with someone not getting sick, but there are very few illnesses common enough or enough ethics committees willing enough to do the right tests.  That is, give 1000 people the real vaccine and 1000 placebo shots, expose all of them to the disease and see who gets sick.  Seriously. I know it sounds terrible.

This is, obviously, a difficult public discussion because it touches on the concept of benefits and risks, again, of morbidity and mortality. Few public officials have the courage or inclination to present all facets of this difficult decision. I give vaccines to my patients every single day, but I always err on the side of caution. Implying that this is a dangerous new shot is not scientifically or statistically correct and represents hyperbole and even dishonesty on the part of the so-called "anti-vaccine" camp. 

It sure isn't "sexy" to suggest handwashing, good nutrition, hydration, extra sleep and so on. It's not conventional to suggest astragalus, echinacea, elderberry and vitamin C. Adequate vitamin D levels are crucial, too.

I just think that giving this new H1N1 vaccine is not the cautious nor best thing to do.




Probably because we're not a family that vaccinates (Sophie developed her seizures within ten days of her initial vaccinations at two months of age and we've suspected a genetic link) and because we have a whole lot of experience with "natural" medicine, as well as western, people ask me all the time what I think about the H1N1 vaccination and whether I'm going to get it or whether my children are going to get it.

The answer is NO. And it's not because I'm some sort of anti-vaccination freak, either. I fully understand the implications for public health and I don't want to get into some argument about vaccinations because, frankly, that whole sideshow makes me physically sick. And you probably know why.

The reason I'm  not vaccinating my children against the flu is because I trust that their very strong immune systems will fight the flu effectively. I, myself, took Tamiflu several years ago, and after the first day on it, suffered extreme agitation and near-hallucinatory side effects. When I told my doctor at the time, he advised me to take Tylenol PM (nothing like a drug for a drug advice!). I took the Tylenol PM because I felt so bad and proceeded to be up all night, suffering what I imagine was a paradoxical reaction to it.  I called my Chinese doctor, then, and she ordered me to stop taking the Tamiflu. She then made a house call, treated me with acupuncture and herbs and within a couple of days I was on my feet.

Here's the thing. Sophie has uncontrolled seizures but is otherwise (knock on wood) very healthy. Since we began seeing an osteopath and homeopath many, many years ago, she has never been on an antibiotic. She gets colds and fevers every now and then; we treat them naturally and they go away. Both Henry and Oliver have been seen by an osteopath since they were one week old. They have never been vaccinated because we just couldn't take the chance that there would be a negative reaction like their sister's (when people ask me whether this frightened me, I say, Yes. But the alternative was more frightening. Trust me on that one). Both boys have had the normal colds and fevers of childhood. They've even had ear infections, although the number of them was very small because osteopaths can really treat them. Both boys have NEVER BEEN ON AN ANTIBIOTIC in their eight and eleven years of life. I do believe that the supports we've chosen to give them regarding their natural ability to heal, combined with some good genes, is the reason. I'm very convinced of that. (KNOCK ON WOOD)

Here's what we're doing to support ourselves and our immune systems during this flu season. And while I know that I can't control what happens, ultimately, I make these decisions in a very informed way. In other words, I'll have no regrets.

Support for the Body During Flu Season


3/4 tsp. colostrum powder
5 sprays Immulox
1000 mg Vitamin C
1000 mg Vitamin D (adults take 2000 mg)
washing hands 
rest
good nutrition
exercise


16 comments:

  1. great post, we've never done the flu shot thing in our family
    a good friend is our municipal coroner (and physician) and while she regards the at risk situations as unknown territory, she does not get her family in this loop either.
    we wash our hands,
    make soup from scratch etc.
    my five kids have used antibiotics maybe 6 times combined.
    Drugs terrify me... and hearing stories like yours breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a courageous and intelligent pediatrician! This is what we need and never get in discussions of health issues: weighing the full consequences of one choice against the full consequences of another. The nuanced conclusions you come to are no good for political rallies. They're just good for health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent and well thought-out position! Thanks for posting it. Hope your guy doesn't get into trouble for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, Elizabeth. It couldn't have come at a better time for me. We have well-child check-ups next week, and I've been thinking and worrying about the vaccine. Now I feel I can go in with the right questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this.
    I am so tired of media fear-mongering, on this, as on many other subjects. I love the way your doctor reasoned it out and EXPLAINED his reasoning to you. It makes perfect sense. I will take his advice myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here. B.Loved and I have discussed this at length. We are both of the same opinion. If we surrender our natural defenses, meager as they may presently be at least for me, the chances of feeding the virus is 100% certain in the near future. Those who can achieve natural immunity are the ones who are going to survive. Natural selection or the wisdom of Nature.
    Either way neither one of us is going to get a vaccine. And I wish the press would do more research with scientists and do fewer lunches with the pharmaceutical industry reps, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had the flu shot twice in my life.
    Both times, I got the flu!
    Tami flu did seem to help me back then...however...now I am wondering if that is the reason why I am INSANE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't gotten a flu shot this year because the last time I got one I was sick for two days. I'm still considering getting one, but I have to consider your doctor's advice.

    But I'm really curious about the manifesto from the Social Democratic Workers Party. I can't decipher the Fraktur script in the body of the text. (One of the few things we can thank the Nazis for is their switch to Roman type). Is it from the 1918 influenza epidemic?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a blessing to have such a rational pediatrician. we're taking extra c and echinacea and washing washing washing hands and faces in our household.

    thanks for this post, elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been debating this vax or no vax with myself for weeks. My pediatrician is lukewarm about it, stressing that we are not high risk, but it's so hard not to succumb to the fear and the excessive pressure to just get the damn shot. I still don't know what we're going to do, and clearly this speaks to my inability to make decisions in general. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been planning on submitting a scientific paper on how one can, indeed, survive on Diet Coke and Entenmann's alone, and I fear if I don't get my flu shots, it may never make it!;)

    I commend your healthy regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for this! My naturopath said Vitamin D is also helpful in preventing the flu, and most of us are deficient in that anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. We feel the same way in our family. The kids just know I rock (less shots than their peers).

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is wonderful info elizabeth. i agree with you (and the doctor's note you posted) completely. we will not do the flu vax either. my daughter has seized after every vaccine she received starting at 4 months old too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When your pregnant you feel much more torn than any mother or father because not only are you more succeptible to the complications of the flu, but the baby also is. Its scary and I am completely torn in this situation. I don't want to end up in an ICU and miscarry. I also don't want my baby to have autism. I was talked into the seasonsal flu shot for the first time in my life (while pregnant). I feel absolutely horrible over it. I can't imagine injecting more mercury.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...