Monday, October 5, 2009

Books, Books, Books


Maggie May at Flux Capacitor did a post recently about books at home. She's my inspiration, here.




I like to say that the only constant in my life is reading. So I thought I'd roam around my house and show you where I keep them all. I live in a very small house currently over-run with books. The only books I get rid of are the ones that I despise (very few) or those infernal Scholastic paperbacks that my kids pressure me into buying. My bedside table is above. And yes, that is a Kindle. I have nothing but raised eyebrows for those who claim it's going to destroy publishing.





These are the books piled on an antique tea chest on the floor next to the bed. They are stacked two deep and up.








The dining room has books.





Books on the floor behind the chair --





Books in the living room



I'm looking rather contemplative in my late twenties, looking down on more books.





Books piled next to the fireplace





Another pile






Hallway bookshelf




The boys' room has busting at the seams bookshelves. I just can't get rid of them. I can't.




My favorite two shelves of poetry books -- and my 1982 NCAA Basketball Championship bottle of Coca-Cola (go Heels!).


I wish that I had a library and all my books would be in there. I just spent an inordinate amount of time googling home library images to post here, but there wasn't anything enticing. I basically want three walls of books, ceiling to floor with a ladder for the highest shelves. A dark red patterned Oriental rug covers the floor and there are two or three large reading chairs, one of which (mine) is placed before the bay windows that either look out on green trees or the ocean. I can't decide. The light, though, is warm and it's NOT cold outside.


17 comments:

  1. you need a library like the one in Beauty and The Beast...you would also be really pretty in that yellow ball gown that Belle wears when she danes with the beast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANCES.
    DANCES with the Beats.
    Not danes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i´d be so happy in your home. your some day library sounds perfect. i remember when jacqueline onasses died and they said she died surrounded by all her books... not trying to be morbid, but i thought- i get that that was important...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we moved into this house, we were gifted with a library the former owners had built. Finally- a place for all the books. I even have an entire section for the kid books which I couldn't give away either. It is, quite simply, a sort of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to literature! I'd love to read a list of what you're reading now and recommend.

    Cheers, Louise

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bookish house looks like heaven to me! And your blog is pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have Haiku Mama on my bedside table too .... along with a stack of other stuff ...... we'll just call you Belle :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books as well but I think you win. That is a lot of books woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great book tour... looks like our apt, only we had to give away all of our extraneous books there for a while because we lived in a tiny space when our daughter was born.

    so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh..I think I could spend hours in your house just to see what kind of books are stashed everywhere! I couldn´t imagine my life without books. And it is always so much fun to see what someone else loves to read.
    And I want a Beauty and the Beast library too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books and food are the same thing. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the house. Books books books, my dream world.

    What is a kindle?

    And no I have never read as i lay dying, should I get it at the library?

    I just finished a confederacy of dunces and loved it.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh i LOVE books and you have displayed them so beautifully around your home! i LOVE built-ins. Thats what i miss with a new home - my old 1920s home had gorgeous built-ins. i love flux capcitator too -- she has an amazing blog, doesnt she?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this post. And thank you--I feel much better about my book hoarding now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my!

    those are really nice books... i too am a book lover, sadly all of my books (they are plenty) was destroyed by the recent floods here in the Philippines...

    i so love your collection!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...