Wednesday, April 10, 2013

National Sibling's Day Couldn't Come Quickly Enough


So, let's just say that today wasn't the greatest over here in the land of a moon, worn as if it had been a shell. Let's just say having minor skin surgery on one's back, done by an impossibly young and good-looking Italian dermatologist, was not fun. Let's just say that one lay there, humiliated that the surgeon had no idea, no idea at all, that the back he was digging into had once been quite beautiful and not fat at all. Let's say, too, that these vain thoughts, literally while under the knife, made one feel incredibly small and were entirely ridiculous. Let's also say that finally emptying one's bank account and paying one's property taxes wasn't all that inspirational either. Nor was parking Sophie's stroller and forgetting to put the brake on it, turning one's back and then turning around to see it roll and bump down the two steps and then fall on its side with Sophie in it right into the dirt that never grows grass under the tree. Trying to pull the stroller and Sophie up while wondering whether her arm was broken and whether one's stitches from the minor skin surgery had burst -- no lifting or pulling for three weeks and otherwise taking it easy, the nurse had said -- was, if not par for the course and fuel for fodder, further evidence of the chaotic nature of an unexpected life. The squabbling between The Brothers on the way to baseball practice prompted The Mother to state firmly with no edge of hysteria to her voice that today is not the day to fight in front of me. If you do, I might leave, and then who would take you to baseball practice? The drive to baseball practice was quiet except for the scuffed-up Girl's hums and reaching for beads that hang on the back of The Mother's head-rest. Let's just say that the rather large seizure in the grass in front of the baseball diamond that necessitated a full lie-down and concern on the part of passers-by -- no worries! The Mother reassured those who asked, We're used to it! -- prompted a sort of surrender by The Mother into the shittiness of it all.  There was dinner from a drive-through and then a drive home. Let's just say that The Mother realized it was National Sibling's Day at about 7:30 that evening and took the above photo, deciding that things really aren't so bad after all, are they?

22 comments:

  1. I didn't even know there was such a day!

    Two days after my surgery I was taking the sink in my kitchen apart and snaking it. It backflowed into the laundry room and I had to clean that mess up. Yes, I moved the dryer.

    I am a stupid woman on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crappola.Sounds like you kinda picked the whole day up outta the dirt. Hope you had some fries with that.
    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stitches ok? I don't know how you do it sometimes.
    And what is it with young good looking dermatologists? We have one here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are mending ok.
    "chaotic nature of an unexpected life" so resonates with me.
    Yesterday was hellish here, I'm taking your words with me to work today.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. formerlyonlyamovie: I always love when you visit and hope you'll begin writing again soon.

      Delete
  5. This would be an example of go big or go home - not just a kind of crappy day but full blown shit. Things do always improve eventually though, don't they? Thank goodness for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, I love this comment -- "go big or go home." Thank you for acknowledging the truth!

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry for the completely unfair and overwhelming nature of your life some days.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, your life is not boring. That's for damn sure. Hope Sophie is okay. And you too, as you make it all work right down to that sweet photo for national sibling day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's hoping today is a significantly better day. I had to laugh about "National Sibling Day." My two have been at each other's throats for the entire week now and Bubba's been gone more than usual. I am hoping for a day or two over the Spring Break where my girls don't have to see each other at all - then maybe we'll get some peace.

    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry friend. Really I am. I get it you know. Of little value that that might be.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great writing, as usual, Elizabeth. Your day was full-on hellish and you made a cogent, vulnerable piece of writing out of it. Writing SAVES, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. "We're used to it!"...don't you wish there was a sign for days like this that says keep moving, nothing to see here, we're used to it!

    I hope your today is better than your yesterday! And that your back is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh bless your sweet soul! what a day!!
    PS - this is why i go to a female dermatologist...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, lady, lady, lady. I hear you.
    And I put this on my blog for you because I finally remembered to, but here it is as well, so your boy can read these books instead of fighting with his brother (it could like that in some imaginary world, right?)
    http://thechildrenswar.blogspot.com/
    It's a blog about books on WWII for kids and teens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the shittiness of it all. ain't it so. glad one can also feel, at times, that it's not so bad at all. big hugs. xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll excuse me for giggling, right? Thank you. Sometimes you just gotta laugh at the shittiness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Surrendering to the chaos...sounds like a true Taoist. I have always believed that Sophie vibrates (hums) to the frequency of the Chi. She is also very in-tune with your energy and her reaching for the beads on your headrest, seems to me like a validation of your decision to surrender and an affirmation of her love for her mother despite the spectacular stumble.

    When I find myself mourning the loss of my youth and beauty, I always try to think of my Little Nana. She was my great grandmother who emigrated from Albania. She was a petite woman with pure white hair and clear blue eyes. She had a sage-like spirit and was often the one folks sought when they needed sound advice.

    I remember the sight of her at one of our family get-togethers. She was sitting in a chair surrounded by many handsome men (young and old) who were seeking her counsel.

    She was 90 years old and still able to gain and more importantly sustain the attention of the opposite sex...always in a spectacular fashion.

    I see you, your blog, and your words in a similar light.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh hell. I'm sorry. Some days are just like that. I can type this sagely now after my fine day, but when those days hit I stomp and storm and become something other and unflattering. I went to the dentist recently and he was very good looking. It was one of the most humiliating experiences of my life, having his cute eyes and dapper hair peering into my cavity-ridden maw.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never heard of National Siblings Day. Who knew?

    I'm glad you emerged from the arc of your hectic day with an evening insight, and I'm glad Sophie's fall apparently wasn't serious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear. It's not funny but I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You write it with humor, but I know it's not funny at the time. Not funny at all.

    Once, after driving 90 minutes home from a week's hospital stay after a particularly grueling abdominal surgery, my exhausted husband and I discovered that the sewer lines in the house were backed up because of tree roots. The poor guy had to rent a plumber's snake, then climb onto the roof with it to unclog everything. (We've since moved the trap to ground level, needless to say.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...