Friday, July 17, 2015

Re-Entry


Leaving Whidbey Island


I really can't ride on a ferry without quoting this, a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay that I memorized in the last millenium:

Recuerdo

We were very tired, we were very merry—
We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry.
It was bare and bright, and smelled like a stable—
But we looked into a fire, we leaned across a table,
We lay on a hill-top underneath the moon;
And the whistles kept blowing, and the dawn came soon.


We were very tired, we were very merry—
We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry;
And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold.


We were very tired, we were very merry,
We had gone back and forth all night on the ferry.
We hailed, “Good morrow, mother!” to a shawl-covered head,
And bought a morning paper, which neither of us read;
And she wept, “God bless you!” for the apples and pears,
And we gave her all our money but our subway fares.



I'm baaaaaaaaaaack. 
It was beyond wonderful to see the boys last night, but Sophie was asleep so I went in to her room
this morning and gave her a big hug. She touched and explored my face very solemnly, looking me in the eyes. I told her that she was my inspiration, is my inspiration and that everything I've done and who I've become is due to her.

What are ya'll up to?


18 comments:

  1. This may be the most beautiful post you've ever given us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, writer woman. What a beautiful thing you said to Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you are safely back in the bosom of your family, after your sojourn in these northern parts. May this weekend bring warm, rich, good times, catching up with those you love best. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a little hard upon re-entry isn't it? But this is what I think. You are needed at home. I go into the homes of a lot of people who have their days to do as they please. They don't have to answer to anyone or take care of anyone but themselves. I can tell you that they are lonely souls. Many of them are just dried up emotionally and spiritually and only think of themselves. They can't see past the nose on their face. It isn't a nice life. It is nice to be needed. At least I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you had this restorative time to yourself to get some writing done. Something about Whidbey Island turns on my narrative voice. I hope it had the same effect on you. I'll be missing it sorely this year. Welcome back to CA. x0 N2

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I told her that she was my inspiration, is my inspiration and that everything I've done and who I've become is due to her."
    heartbreakingly beautiful and so well said, just like all of your writing. welcome home!
    p.s. i have a little something to mail you for Sophie. Can you email me your address?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Neuro Chick -Kid -- please remind me of your email!

      Delete
  7. Welcome home! I love what you said to Sophie. I bet all your kids were really glad to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All of this made me smile, including that poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like it's good to be home. I'm sure Sophie is glad to have you back. I have loved that poem for years. Edna St Vincent Millay is hard to beat, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome home from the long and winding road. Reminds me of another by Edna St. Vincent Millay, from the beginning of Renascence:

    All I could see from where I stood
    Was three long mountains and a wood;
    I turned and looked the other way,
    And saw three islands in a bay.
    So with my eyes I traced the line
    Of the horizon, thin and fine,
    Straight around till I was come
    back to where I'd started from.

    ReplyDelete
  11. welcome home. what a tender post. your time away breathed new life into you, me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home. Thank you for the poetry to expose me to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. XOXOXO dear heart. Your family is surely glad you are back.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  14. XOXOXO dear heart. Your family is surely glad you are back.

    ~Beth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...