Saturday, June 16, 2018

Valentine



Last night we had to unexpectedly put our beloved goofy dog Valentine to sleep. The night before last, I was up most of the night with her, but she wasn't in pain -- just acting weird and restless. Early Friday morning, I had to take Henry to get his wisdom teeth removed, and when we got home in the afternoon, Valentine was still acting weird, and her stomach was distended. I took her to the vet in the early evening and learned that her stomach had twisted or turned or distended, that surgery might be the only option with little guarantee that she'd make it through. It was so shocking and fast. I called Oliver, and he came over to the vet's office to be with her. She was really Oliver's dog. He was barely three years old when we got her.

We are so very sad.

We got Valentine as a puppy when she was six months old. She was fourteen in April and lived a long, extremely healthy life. She might have been the happiest, goofiest dog in the universe. We called her a love whore. Everyone who met her would say, "Valentine really loves me!" We didn't have the heart to tell them that she really loved everyone. She loved the Oliver the most, though.

Not much more to say than that. Or this:



14 comments:

  1. awww Valentine,(Valley Girl) knew who the good dog was all along. So sorry, something one never quite gets over, still hear clicking in the hall and expect a wag at the door years later. So sorry, Very sad indeed, especially for Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear. :-(

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very good to be loved by a dog. Comfort each other with sweet memories of Valentine. My condolences to all.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear this, Elizabeth. It's the last loving thing we can do for our companions, to take care of them until the very end. Love to your grieving family, and especially to Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losing a beloved pet can be one of the most painful things in the world. I feel so sad for all of you but especially for Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O dear. Sending love to you and your family. Our animals friends are dear to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry. There is no easy way to say goodbye. I had to put my sweet dog to sleep in Feb - he was almost 10. And 4 months later the pain has lessened but still sneaks up on me putting tears in my eyes. Tell Oliver that I understand and am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought Valentine loved me... she was a beautiful being and member of your family. I’m not sure if it’s thoughtless to suggest a cat now. I can see a kitten sitting with Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh ((Oliver)). My heart breaks for you. When there are special needs in the family, a dog is more than a regular family dog. We lost our Jingle earlier this year and lost a strong neck to hug, a fluffy chest that absorbed lots of tears over the years. Her soulful eyes, and unconditional boundless love. It is a deep loss. I'm so sorry about your girl Valentine. I'm sure she loved you very much, above and beyond her normal baseline boundless love for all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m so sorry. There’s a special kind of deep pain and sorrow that goes along with losing such a special animal family member.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sad! Poor Valentine, and poor Oliver. It's always such a shock when these things happen so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I’m sorry. Valentine was such a good spirit. Oliver’s words about her are precious. So are yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm super sad about Valentine. I felt an affinity for her, for many reasons. I'm sure the house feels weird and wrong without her. Sending love as you recover from that, on top of everything else you're recovering from!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...