Monday, April 26, 2010

Monday ponderings, or we spend more on weapons in the United States than the next fifteen military powers combined

I'll type that out again:

WE SPEND MORE ON WEAPONS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THAN THE NEXT FIFTEEN MILITARY POWERS IN THE WORLD COMBINED.


I'm not a huge fan of Bill Maher, finding him obnoxious and too profane, but occasionally I want to jump in his lap and give him a big old smooch.  I saw this video posted on Facebook and thought it the perfect rejoinder to the Teabagger Movement.  I just don't understand why the fact that we're still fighting two wars with no end in sight, the enormous costs of those wars and the chilling thought of all those tens of thousands of soldiers with serious physical and mental injuries that we are responsible, morally, for treating for the rest of their lives is never mentioned in the constant talk of the economy, economic catastrophe, budget deficits, etc. I know nothing about economics (I got a C in Econ 101 and sat slumped in my chair in an enormous auditorium, bored out of my mind as the lecturer droned on for an hour and a half to the five hundred or so students in the room), have definitely lived beyond my means for at least a portion of my life, but am getting it together at this point, and I do know where to CUT. In any case, I appreciated this video and certainly enjoyed the laugh.






Here's another thought: what if the Tea Partiers were black? Check out this most interesting blog post HERE.


Tell me what you think!

6 comments:

  1. I saw this , haven't watched it yet.
    As a Canadian, I get a pass in trying to figure out all of this. :)
    It is wrong wrong wrong.
    In every way.

    and I have a degree in economics, international relations actually ( I wish it was in English... long story ), and went straight from school to opening my own little cafe and catering business. Not because I knew how to be a business woman by any stretch, but because it's always about politics.

    Health care should get this much support. Obviously. But obviously won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Maher can be obnoxious (and oh- his profanity obviously doesn't bother me at all) BUT dammit, he gets some stuff right.
    I rewatched Religulous the other day and was sort of astounded again.
    And this? Astounded me yet again.
    It's such a sin, the way we prioritize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the bulk of my "career" as a legislative analyst for Hq USAF at The Pentagon. My job was preparing for House and Senate Armed Services and Appropriations hearings. That was decades ago. I can only imagine having that job today. If only education and healthcare could get this kind of budget!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I loved this. There is a lot more that I could add, but don't want to open a big political debate here. Just thanks for the laughs and the good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't seen this. I'll show it to my husband. I appreciate your posting it because I rarely watch TV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think:
    Canada is looking pretty good right now.

    And the blog post about what if the teabaggers were black ..... very depressing point of view - only because he's so so right on.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...