Thursday, June 30, 2011

3rd Blogaversary

Female Tannery Workers -- World War I

This is my 1,384th post on the third anniversary of beginning a moon, worn as if it had been a shell. Traditionally, LEATHER is the gift one gives on third anniversaries, and this morning I surfed around the internet for interesting leather images. I found the one above -- a photo of women working at a Tannery during or shortly after World War I when men were in short supply. The work was physically demanding and often quite dangerous. I was struck, especially, by how these women skirted those deep pits, balancing with long poles, probably, that they also used to poke and prod at the dangerous stuff below. The balancing act of mothering -- particularly my Sophie, whose needs are extraordinary -- is a theme that runs through nearly all of my more than one thousand posts, and it's an act that many of my readers perform as well. This morning, as I sit at my desk, sipping coffee, counting my blessings and listening to the infernal racket of one damn mockingbird outside my open door, I raise my anniversary glass to my fellow tanners.

I am grateful to be part of this astounding blogging community of women and men that  has enriched my life in countless ways.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations and thank YOU! You are a precious part of my life now. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogoversary! love the leather thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed your blog for the last few years:)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogaversary! And thank YOU. I love being part of your community.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I salute those women and you!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. the second miracle of summer...
    balancing acts with soul.

    i cannot imagine mornings without you.
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for enriching my life beyond measure and for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the thoughts, inspirations and pictures...I'll be 156 years old when I match your record for posts...keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's to you, Elizabeth.
    Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a fellow tanner - and I love your writing. Happy 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh congrats and I am grateful to have found your blog Elizabeth!

    By the way I have a lonely mockingbird here who is ever so annoying. To bad they can't get together and stop the racket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grateful to have found you, my friend. Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well well well. Happy Anniversary to you. I am astounded that it's been only three years. We started this blogging thing within weeks of one another. Kindred spirits I suppose. Your writing gives a lift to my day. I'm so glad to have made you virtual acquaintance and look forward to a real life encounter one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So you didn't want to go with assless leather chaps? It was just a thought.

    Happy Anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations, Elizabeth, and thank you! Your writing, wisdom, and wit have been invaluable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Blogaversary! You and Sophie and the boys have a very special place in my heart. I love you guys lots and lots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Only wish I'd found you sooner.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I'm nearly 3 years behind - that's a lot of catch-up reading. I'm still trying to keep up with your constant daily posts. You have an amazing ability to make mundane, daily activities seem enriching and beautiful. Your senses are so astute. More people would be happier if they could observe the world as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. And here's to you and to many more years! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No, thank YOU. For the love and hope you shine, as you balance on the edge...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy, Happy anniversary and thank you for your blog friendship.
    Here is my leather gift to you:

    http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Lifeandhealth/Pix/pictures/2009/01/09/brando1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  22. And God knows, I am grateful to you for your writing, your ideas, your loyalty, your sharing, and so much more. We are indeed a true community of minds, hearts and spirits.

    "Give to me your leather, take from me my lace." Stevie Nicks

    And here's to the next 3, and the next 30.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! Happy Anniversary! XO

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations , Elizabeth.
    You astound me in a myriad of ways.
    Your Saturday poem alone is perfect.

    love to you and your family, and thank you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...