Wednesday, September 28, 2011

King Solomon writing Ecclesiastes

I read, with gratitude, all the comments on my post from last night, my falling apart post that barely skims the surface and I wanted you to know that I will be all right and that down deep, where it counts, is my belief that nothing stays the same and everything changes and there is nothing new under the sun. These three things floated through my mind this morning as I drove Sophie to school and listened to her humming and moaning and wondered as always whether she was happy or uncomfortable whether her stomach was hurting from the drug whether she had a headache or a presentiment of a seizure but wondering is the best I can do and it has to be enough. Those three things, that nothing stays the same and everything changes and there is nothing new under the sun floated by my mind's eye like fish, silent and swift and sure despite the murk, knowing that where there is light there is food. I saw Dr. Jin yesterday for the first time in months, the needles hurt like the dickens which I imagine is good and then she gave me two little bottles of pills and a bag of fresh figs from her garden and sent me on my way, dazed. These three things rounded their way through the other muck, insistent and sure that there will always be Young College Republicans having racist bake sales and always be those who push their morality upon one, and there will always be mornings of fog that brighten and shatter like glass into sunshine. The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

8 comments:

  1. And all things must pass. All things must pass away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words of comfort, Elizabeth, the same words we all might use in situations of pain, suffering or discomfort, including that horrible state of mind called doubt and uncertainty.

    As Ms Moon says, All things pass. We can rail against it too, this notion that all things pass, including us, but I see it as one of our greatest comforts.

    Imagine having to live forever. No thank you. No matter how good our lives might be, there's always a need for them to end, I reckon if only in sleep or in change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased that you know that deep down you will be all right and I hope you know that there is more than that and you deserve it. And as some things change, others will remain - like your steadfast ability to inspire and speak for change and hope.

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. And there will always be Young College Republicans doing something racist and there will always be those who call them on it. Muck always falls to the bottom and cream always rises to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286
    I could go on and on but I think you know what I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm learning ever so slowly how to accept what is. Of course it's so much easier for me to do this now that I don't have to take care of Katie full time. When she is around there is no time for learning, for breathing, for peace, there is only surviving. I'm not helping, am I? Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there dear cyber friend. We are all in the same rocking boat and would gladly risk our lives to throw you the last life jacket if necessary!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...