Thursday, August 30, 2018

Art and Chaos


Somewhere over the western continental United States
2018

And we are put on earth a little space,

That we may learn to bear the beams of love, 

William Blake

When I meditate and lose my breath and go to thoughts they are like tendrils in some dark soup, like fish swimming by, my hook vain. I make them clouds to float, to find my breath again. My thoughts, my brain. I flew back to Los Angeles from Spokane. I looked out the window to see what appeared to be an ordered universe -- neat squares, rectangles and the occasional parallelogram colored in rich browns and greens with wispy clouds floating above. It might have been a brain, thoughts packed tight. In service to breath, become clouds. And then right there, a branch cutting through, tendrils, neurons, synapses, whatever. Threaded through and broken. It's always about the brain, isn't it? Sophie's brain and mine. The word riven. The word wisp. 




Have you been listening to our podcast, dear Reader? This week's episode, Art and Chaos is with the brilliant artist Mimi Feldman. She is the mother of a young man who has schizophrenia. I think it is one of the most interesting conversations that I've had in my life. I feel humbled by her experiences and enriched by her story. I believe fervently that people's voices -- the telling of story -- connects us to one another.

Read about and listen to Mimi's story here.  I promise you will leave enriched beyond your imaginings.


If you have been listening to Who Lives Like This?!, what do you think? My partner Jason and I are having so much fun doing this, but our intention is to also build a real community. We need your help. We're not making money, but we'd like to continue to build the podcast and the community and improve the quality and -- well -- continue doing it. If you're so inclined, please consider supporting us through Patreon. You can pledge as little as $1 a month!

Here's the link to Patreon.







Henry and Oliver took me out to dinner for my birthday -- Henry on the last night in Spokane where I left him to begin his second year at Gonzaga, and Oliver here in Los Angeles, last night.

I know ya'll like my sons almost as much as I do, so here are a couple of pics:







8 comments:

  1. What beautiful boys, what beautiful words. You know, you absolutely project an aura of calm and peacefulness.
    The podcasts I've listened to on Who Lives Like This have impressed me a great deal. I love how each guest is so very different in the way they live and caregive but all seem to have common threads of determination and humor. And I think that you and Jason are very good in the way you host. You ask the right questions and then you listen to your guests. You share your own experiences when appropriate. And honestly, you have made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday again, dear Elizabeth. Your sons are beautiful souls and such handsome boys. I am heading over to Patreon right now as I very much want you and Jason to be able to continue your extraordinary podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I don't see an option for a one time pledge--all the options are recurring. What am I missing? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Henry and Oliver--grown up! Very handsome dates for your birthday celebration.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Elizabeth! This is the first year that I have been present to celebrate your birthday. Love the birthday photos. Hope to listen to the latest podcast as I finish another mandala in the next few days. The only time I am able to listen to the podcasts is while working on a mandala. Have not found time to work on this current mandala until the last few days. If I weren't living on a $948/month Social Security check, I would gladly help support your podcasts financially. I have found them to be a treasure. That quote by William Blake is a favorite of mine. Your photo from the air is extraordinary, especially considering how smoky the air has been up and down the western states.

    "May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday dear, dear Elizabeth.
    Your beautiful words.
    Your beautiful sons.
    And the words of William Blake
    "For when our souls have learn'd the heat to bear.
    The cloud will vanish we shall hear his voice."
    Love and Best wishes to you always
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday, thank you for being such a strong and inspirational woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words. I feel both riven and a wisp.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...