Friday, December 11, 2015

Peaceful Images and Poems

A postcard from Paris' Shakespeare & Company
via Tanya


MERMAID


1.

She does not believe even in herself --
the first prismatic glimpse

of scale caught in the bathroom
mirror, flake of rainbow

she mistakes for a weird scab
Given to picking, she takes the Bic

to it, but it bleeds blue and doubles.
Another, another --


2.

From there to here's a blur. Sky
-scraper horizons then anemone

fields, jellyfish swirling as snow
once did -- carillon orchestras

without noise. It is this absence
of sound she loves and misses

most -- jackhammer at dawn,
another screaming child.

Somehow she made it to the sea.
Something carried her -- full-finned.

I can't even hear myself think
she'd complained, the mystery

now tones as a steal beam
drum: Will I survive? This current

I'm riding, does it feel? Tunnel
of water through water

Mist and foam, white travel.
There is some place we belong.


Lauren Goodwin Slaughter
from a lesson in smallness*



*this book of poetry came in the mail the other day. I ordered it on the advice of someone, but I can't remember who told me about it. Are you out there? Did I read about this beautiful book somewhere? Where? I love it.

Reader, what are you doing?


5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. Exactly what I needed. Feel as if I sent you a real postcard and just got a full throated response in my mailbox. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I think books find you, E. They know, like animals, where they will be protected and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that poem. I'm not one for poetry, mostly I don't understand, but sometimes I get feelings from poems. Feeling I understand and maybe that's the point of poetry, not sure.

    And me, Katie has another staph infection. She's sick and feeling awful. She cries, I cry, we all cry. It's snowing today so it looks lovely, very Christmassy. I'm on my way to check on her to see if she's better or if she needs a trip to emerg and IV antibiotics. I don't like it when my baby doesn't feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so beautiful. How did I miss this one?
    I love what Liv said. Perfectly true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Me Reading Orwell's The Road to Wigan Pier. As usual, completely out of season.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...