Monday, February 23, 2009

A Nervous Breakdown Hat

I'm laughing at this poem this morning and, for a change, NOT because I need to put on a nervous breakdown hat. I'm just laughing because.

What She Was Wearing

this is my suicide dress
she told him
I only wear it on days
when I'm afraid
I might kill myself
if I don't wear it


you've been wearing it
every day since we met
he said

and these are my arson gloves

so you don't set fire to something?
he asked

exactly

and this is my terrorism lipstick
my assault and battery eyeliner
my armed robbery boots

I'd like to undress you
he said
but would that make me an accomplice?

and today
she said I'm wearing
my infidelity underwear
so don't get any ideas


and she put on her nervous breakdown hat
and walked out the door

by Denver Butson

12 comments:

  1. I love that! And I love your new blog design! Very cool.

    You can order my friend's chapbook at Plan B Press: http://www.planbpress.com/tolflike.html

    I think you'd like her other poetry, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many days I could use a nervous breakdown hat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall definitely have to share this one. It is too good not to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmmm makes ya think - what are you wearing? Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always knew I wore many hats...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!

    E-Mail me if your really want a fish - I'd love to make one for your front door too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got to share this with the band I am working with - I know there's an inspiration for a lyric there...

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have some terrorism lipstick too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think i've been wearing my nervous break down ponytail all week. must note to make a change...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great poem! I'll need to follow Kate's link to Plan B press. That actually sounds like the press for me! What is my life but a series of plan Bs (and Cs and Ds).

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...