Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Birthday Party #1 - The Family




The Husband left The Mistress and brought tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches home for Sophie's birthday celebration. I bought cupcakes that Oliver picked out from a local bakery (think HUGE, think GROTESQUE and don't think BADLY that I, a former pastry chef did NOT make my daughter's birthday cupcakes). We all close our eyes and make wishes -- don't you wonder what we wish for?




Oliver was concerned that we insisted on cutting the cupcakes in half. 




Sophie got a beautiful hand-knit scarf from Cousin Michelle in her favorite color.




She also got a lovely white dress and shoes to wear to her BIG party on Sunday.




I forget what these little wooden Asian dolls are called -- Momji, maybe? -- but this one is an addition to her growing collection. I love them.

We convened in Sophie's room and listened to a stirring rendition of the Beatles' Today is Your Birthday from our new guitarist, Glamour Boy Henry


16 comments:

  1. My heart is singing along with your beautiful, beautiful family.
    You are doing everything right. You know that, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cupcakes look delicious. Even pastry chefs need a treat once in awhile. It seems that everyone enjoyed celebrating with Sophie. I have a collection of those wonderful dolls. Mine are called Kokeshi but there may be other names. Not too knowledgeable just know that I like them. Sophie looks lovely in her new scarf--just her color. Thanks for sharing her with your blogging friends today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Sophie... Looks like a perfect evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love family parties -- so intimate and loving -- Sophie's exudes both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for telling us how your evening went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to mention that I haven't seen the Trader Joe's Cookbook. I'll look next time I'm wandering the aisles. I have 200+ cookbooks but still like to add to the collection. By the way, that T.J. vanilla cake mix makes really good cupcakes. I add some coconut to the batter, make a cream cheese icing and pass them off as my own--which, of course, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Sophie had a wonderful Birthday with her family.

    And those huge, grotesque cupcakes have made me really hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Those cupcakes look delicious, and Sophie is beautiful, and I also like the 'momji' or whatever they are :) Happy Birthday Sophie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful celebration for a beautiful person. So glad everyone had a good time.

    Don't even think about making cupcakes. Life is too short to try to do everything yourself. Much better to do as you did and be able to relax with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cousin Michelle made a beautiful scarf. And you made a beautiful day for Sophie. The new guitarist looks in his element.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for sharing this time with us...felt like I was there. Would have liked to be, certainly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like it was the best birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She's beautiful,

    Happy (belated) birthday Sophie, your mysterious selkie,

    Irene x

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is so very lovely. Her scarf is soft and pretty; the dress and shoes make me happy, just to see such pretty, girly things - and then to see hear wearing those ballet flats. She's so delicate and feminine, Elizabeth. I wish I could gently wrap my arms around her.
    God bless you! Please post photos after the next party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what fun. Those cupcakes! Of course you should buy them. I love the purple room photo, such love and sweetness. Thanks for sharing this day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, that celebration is the sweetest! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...