Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Convalescing smartly

Add caption

Like the cliche of Murphy's Law, Sophie got sick while I was in Washington, D.C. last week, literally for the first time this school year. She's uncommonly healthy (knock on wood) despite the hundreds of seizures, and I attribute that to good diet, osteopathy and a pretty serious regimen of Chinese herbs,  homeopathy and nutritional supplements. I know -- Y A W N. I think that the seventeen years of providing those "alternative" things has supported her general health, giving her far more potential than was predicted. Both boys were sick, too, even while we were away, and now I've come down with a sore throat, aches and pains and the beginnings of a cold. The Husband has been hacking away with a cough and cold for what seems like weeks.

Unlike Sophie, though, both boys, The Husband and I, pretend that we're not sick and go about our days as usual, for the most part. Henry powers through his cold, sniffing until I tell him to blow your nose; Oliver is a grump in the grandest of traditions, so much so that my compassion largely disappears and I literally grit my teeth around him. The Husband leaves for The Mistress despite being at death's door, such are her charms and needs. I, like millions of mothers before and with me, periodically lie on my back on my bed and stare up at the ceiling but otherwise carry on because who has time to be sick? 


Sophie sleeps.

Sophie sleeps.

And sleeps.

It struck me this morning as I tucked her back into bed after breakfast where she promptly closed her eyes, curled up and went back to sleep, that she does exactly what one is supposed to do when you're sick. She rests. And, yes, this is probably just an animal instinct, but it's a damn smart one, one that we should all emulate.


12 comments:

  1. Sleep, not laughter, is the best medicine. We have forgotten that. Well, some of us. Not me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture in it's own little way so encapsulates a corner of your life with Sophie. I love that she/you have fallen asleep with a book in your hands and that she/Sophie sleeps in such tender privacy, guarded by you. Great choice.

    Loved being a part of your vacation, thank you for that. Hope you are recover your health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all are better soon. When I'm sick, I always hope to feel well enough to be pampered. Alas, my mother isn't around to do the pampering.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise in her young ways, isn't she?
    I wish I could sleep when I am sick, but that gift was denied to me at birth I guess, since sleep is what I long for most on raining afternoons when the body just wants the warmth of my bed, and little else.

    Another candle just for this will be lit shortly so the good healing thoughts will take flight. And you too, rest, some ginger tea with honey and lemon and a favor to yourself of resting for a spell will be very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder sometimes what would happen if we all just went to bed (or simply rested) when our bodies told us to do so. It would certainly be a compassionate action to ourselves, and maybe even to those around us, but as you say, "Who has time to be sick?" I hope you will all be feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Miss Sophie...thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very wise indeed. So sorry you're all sick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. bless sweet Sophie.

    now follow her example, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys, ever the SpongeBob fans, call it "the suds" and we are all down with it here too! Hope you all feel better soon. Dear sweet Sophie, the sage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When these family-wide things come crashing down on us, it is all I can do to remember that such illnesses are a good thing - that we are all strengthening our immune systems by getting colds.

    I love that Sophie is doing what comes naturally and I hope the weekend comes quickly so that you and the boys can take short whiffs of rest for yourselves as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. im sorry she's not feeling well :(. my daughter does the SAME thing when sick... sleep sleep sleep. That's what I WISH i could do, so i think you're on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more. I've been able to sleep the last couple of times I've gotten a bug. It's so much easier to get well. I hope you all feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...