Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dinner Talk

Not my kitchen -- from Conran's Kitchen Book


Some years ago my mother, I think, gave us a little Lucite box with a stack of cards, each of which had a "dinner conversation starter." I think I rolled my eyes at the little box and stashed it on a bookshelf, but when Henry pulled it out the other evening and began asking me questions from the cards, I realized that it was actually a pretty cool thing. The questions are all open-ended and interesting, particularly helpful for those kids who might answer all questions with a typical Uh Huh or I don't know. I learned that my sons would rather be spanked than grounded -- who knew? -- and that Henry would rather be a famous athlete than scientist. Henry also stated that he'd rather have a teacher who was less talented and more fun than a good but strict teacher. He answered that the times he has been most afraid were when Sophie fell during seizures and hurt herself. The boys learned that I have never cheated and that it's harder for me to get exercise than it is to eat healthy. They also learned that one of my greatest dreams is to see the Earth hanging in space from the window of a rocket.

As always, Oliver had the funniest answer to the question How will you know when you are a grownup? 

His response:

I'll know I'm a grown-up when the ladies start hitting on me.

I honestly don't know where the boy gets it!

18 comments:

  1. I love the dinner cards :) how interesting and a fun way to get the kidlets to open up! Hope you had time for tea today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! These was really fun. Thanks for sharing. I imagine the ladies are hitting on him already...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that! You are an awesome mom!
    You'll know your boys are grownup when the ladies start hitting on them too .... That will be a hard to watch! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that photo/painting.

    a rocket ride ? wow, I never would have chosen that, how interesting. I hope it comes true .

    I hope that the ladies remain ladies while doing the hitting on.. it's a fine line sometimes I've found ( re my son, not me ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe this is the silver lining of being housebound as a family. Such wonderful sharing, and i do love Oliver's wit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwahahahaha! Loving the ladies comment, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I thought the definition of grown-up was when you started wanting to take a nap.
    I like Oliver's definition better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did Oliver mention anything about punching back?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this conversation. Dinner cards, who knew?! I hope the pox are improving. What a bummer to miss your trip. Sometimes the urge to get out and just go SOMEWHERE gets so strong. I hope you can find some alternative escape.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i like what ms. moon said : )

    as for the hitting on... it won't be long now, and i bet you can't wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these moments! Hope your mother is proud that she started this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! How thoughtful of your Mom. And the boys are so good. More confirmation that Oliver is precocious...

    Thanks for your comment today at Hill Country Mysteries. Article deadlines have kept me from blogging much and I miss the contact.

    In the someday when I get to LA, I'd love to play in your yard! Do you have an herb garden? Most of my culinary herbs are in pots. Nice display and easy to snip. And a day at the beach with your family is on my 'most-fun in LA' list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. and by the way, oliver gets it from you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oliver, you are hysterical. I really did just laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We were given a set of those cards, years ago; Katie & I loved asking and answering them. Gregg would rather have his teeth pulled, without anaesthetic. I suspect David is right behind him, now. What if someone created a blog of just those questions, and invited everyone to answer? FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love your youngest boy child so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Oliver is something else. Love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...