Tuesday, March 1, 2011

True Words




Nonviolence means avoiding not only external physical violence but also internal violence. You not only refuse to shoot a man, but you refuse to hate him.

Martin Luther King, Jr.


As I think about what's going on in Wisconsin (particularly the cuts to the disabled which you might not know about given all the hoopla and which you can read about here), as I read an article about Newt Gingrich's new-found Catholicism and platform of morality -- well -- it's difficult not to hate. 

But I know those words above ring true. 


Sigh.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, and it's hard hard hard. We had demonstrations in front of the Texas Capitol today about cuts to the disabled. It's hard to keep yourself heard while trying not to shout shou in anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at arizona and tell me, where is the love?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well- we try. But I think we need to remember that the quote probably refers to the fact that we must treat ourselves gently, too, even with all of our human emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's hate and hate, Elizabeth. If Ghandi had your experience with Sophie and all those threats to her maintenance, he too might not have been ab;e to develop such tolerance, if he were a mother as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read that article about Newt Gingrich too. Obviously, If I want to avoid "internal violence" , I need to stop reading articles about Newt Gingrich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see that our Gandhi cat has inspired you (just had to make a little joke there)!

    One of the worst "advertisements" for religion is to hear it touted verbally by people who don't live their beliefs. Who was it who said, "love the sinner, hate the sin"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you're trying. And thanks for reminding the rest of us to keep on trying, too. When I find it particularly hard, I remember something else MLK, Jr. said, "you can't put out a fire with fire." Our love is the water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this somehow...
    and I like what Ms. Moon said.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...