Friday, November 11, 2011

I believe I can fly

via sebmontaz.com


Do we need any more words about 11/11/11? I don't think so.

Today, though, you can watch the entire 40-minute documentary I Believe I Can Fly (flight of the Frenchies)   for free. If you're a Philippe Petit fan, as I am, you must. Here's the link.

Other thoughts?

Yesterday, I got an email from a blogger friend who has largely been absent from the blogging world the last couple of months. She is bogged (not blogged) down in life parenting a child with disabilities. She also told me that she didn't know who she was right now.

That got me thinking -- who am I? Who would I be without Sophie? Who might I have been? Where am I? 


These are the questions of the middle of the night, questions of the dawn and the day, of waiting in the carpool line and tucking the sheets in tight.

9 comments:

  1. You are who you have created and become because of who you truly are. External circumstances have a way of polishing the rough edges but the interior light, while sometimes dimmed, cannot be ever extinguished by the shadows that we are all subjected to.

    And who you are is who you are meant to be. I, for one, am delighted to call you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I am leaving something on my blog for you. I think you would be more comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having the same thoughts and I don't have a child with disabilities. Who the hell am I? What am I here for? What am I? A freaking fifteen year old?
    Give me one day "off" my regular duties and I'm lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i start asking these questions, i can sometimes escape into the idea of parallel universes, that in them is every expression of every choice and circumstance i have been faced with in this life. somewhere, my cousin is not an addict, my mother's knees are strong and her sight perfect, my son is not struggling in chem, and other family dramas are transformed into loving tableaus. i am a slender reed, and so on. it helps me be a peace with what is in this universe, the one i am conscious of as i write this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. and yes. i know it doesn't change shit. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never really known who I am. I also don't know what the point of my being here on this planet is. Today the sun is shining and I have not even got out of bed.

    I don't have answers for you, Elizabeth. I guess we can all ask who are we despite all the shit? Who are you because of Sophie?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes think about what the 13 year old version of me would think of this version of me. Not that I let a 13 year old be in charge but sometimes it makes me feel better thinking that she would think I was old but pretty cool...for being so old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder what my life would have been like without Katie, easier and not so good at the same time:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the biggest thing I had to wrestle with. I very much identified myself through my work, which pretty much ended when maggie was born. 17.5 years later and I'm still not sure - I just stopped wrestling with it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...