Sunday, August 8, 2010

Beyond the Cherry on Top

Shall I shock you or do you want it gently?

I'm a shocker, I think.

Last night, our last in Hilton Head, at around 10:30 pm, Sophie propelled herself up and off the king-size bed where I have basically been lying with her for over two weeks, while she seized and slept. On the way down, she smashed her head in two different spots on the iron bedside table while I watched helplessly, trying to break her fall.

I was alone in the house with just the boys, so I screamed loudly for Henry who was on the other side of the house, in bed. He came running and when he saw the scene, he asked what he could do. I told him to get my phone and to get a towel filled with ice. I said these things as I tried to stanch the bleeding, all the while cursing under my breath as I looked for the gash. When I got the phone, I called my cousin who lives down the road and she came over quickly. We both deliberated on whether the two cuts were worthy of a 911 call or should we just go to the hospital. We decided on the hospital, and took Sophie there where she was cleaned up and her wounds stapled and butterflied.

Ironically, she had no seizure, before or after and is fine today, banged up and bruised and patched together but fine.

At the small hospital, I sat in a state of shock, I think. When the triage nurse asked me to come into the small office, I rolled Sophie in and answered his questions. He had never heard of the drugs that Sophie is on for her seizures and was clearly miffed when I told him that she was not vaccinated since she began seizing one week after her initial vaccinations at two months old. This happens regularly and I don't care at this point. I usually just stare the person in the eyes and if they push the point, I ask them whether they would sign a form testifying to the complete safety of the vaccine given and that it wouldn't cause my daughter (or son) to seize. But that's beside the point...

A man walked up to the window and the triage nurse turned in his swivel chair away from me and toward the new patient. He was evidently both receptionist and triage person that late on a Saturday night.

Are you here to see a doctor? he asked the man.

I thought to myself, why else would he be here? And then I amused myself by silently imagining the triage nurse asking the next patient what can I get for you this evening? or can I get you a drink? He swiveled back toward me and asked a few more questions, and the another person came to the window with one hand cupped over his right ear. He said to the nurse through the window I can't hear you but I know exactly what's wrong. I have wax impacted in my ear. If someone's eyes rolling back in their heads made a sound, the triage nurse's eyes, as he turned back to me, might have rattled. Good Lord, I thought, he couldn't have waited until Monday morning to have his ears cleaned out?


I had a nice chat with Yolanda, the cheerful nurse who cleaned Sophie's gashes and chattered away. The doctor, when he came in told me his name and credentials, and I said something inane about the seventies show Emergency, which I loved. Don't ask me how or why this came up, but the doctor proceeded to tell me that it was that show that inspired him to become an EMT and he was just tickled that I knew it. He told us that he could stitch Sophie up but we'd have to wait over an hour and he thought that the placement of the cuts warranted staples, anyway. We agreed to that, and he pulled out a staple gun and did the job.

And that was that. We were given our discharge papers and drove home, crawled into bed near 2:00 am and went to sleep.


It's always good to be diverted during times of crisis, and I'm especially skilled, apparently, at being focused like a laser on the matter at hand but still capable of observing the tiniest thing. And it's those tiny things that keep me from going completely mad.

Tell your story, a writing mentor once told me, take notes and tell your story.

22 comments:

  1. Oh my God. That is horror beyond horror. I can't wait until you and Sophie and the boys are safely tucked back into your own home. Thank God she's okay. Thank God you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord. Oh Elizabeth. Go home. Go home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swift and safe journey home for all. You've had a nightmare to remember.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank heavens it's the last night there!! Hurry home.

    I am glad Sophie is okay, but how scary. Poor girl, I hope she isn't hurting too much today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm horrified to hear this -- but I'm glad to see you've still got your humor. Like the others, I can't wait to hear that you're home, slipping back into all that is familiar and safe. Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's always good to be diverted during times of crisis, and I'm especially skilled, apparently, at being focused like a laser on the matter at hand but still capable of observing the tiniest thing. And it's those tiny things that keep me from going completely mad."

    SO TRUE!Me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nightmare! I was really scared of where your post was going. Thank God Sophie is (relatively) okay! It's a relief to know that your sense of humor and copying mechanisms holding you together, but still... it sounds like you will need a vacation from this vacation. I'm praying for a safe trip home and for some peace and rest for you, finally. Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ack. xoxo
    Emergency rooms are my least favorite.

    Safe trip home!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. checking in from the hotel in Mass.
    this is not what I expected to hear.
    wanted slow to load pics of beach bliss.
    safe travels home sweet Elizabeth and family.
    double kisses to Sophie's forehead now.

    and I'll take a typical tourist photo of the Emily Dickinson Homestead for you. For us. For all the found moments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your words "And it's those tiny things that keep me from going completely mad" are a great quote.

    I hope the poor little Sophie is fine now... and you are fine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry and I hope Sophie is feeling better soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will be happy to come home, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Home is never going to look so good to you....hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Mom and Dad,

    I am looking forward to our vacation together next summer. In order for us to be there, we will need a room with no beds or sharp corners, 3 mattresses, 6 large couch pillows, and foam tiles covering the rest of the floor. I know you will understand.

    Love, x

    ReplyDelete
  15. God. I'm reading back from today, the 9th of August. Poor Sophie. Poor you. So sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, no. I just checked in and found this post. I'm just so sorry. You'll be home, soon.

    You did make me laugh, you know. Is that bad? It was the ear wax thing.

    But I guess if we didn't find anything to laugh at in the midst of ridiculously awful circumstances, we would all go mad for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post because it shows just how you get through this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh. My. God.
    Worst. Vacation. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry your time away (can't really call it "vacation") ended like this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Elizabeth, I'm so sorry that this happened. But I'm so glad you're home now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've just caught up on the blog and I'm so glad you are home. I'm so sorry for Sophie's accident. I've been in that small emergency room (or one like it) and you describe it perfectly.

    I love Henry coming in saying what can I do? Our families are the mirror of each other, my two boys are older than Maggie, and now they are gone to college, but when they were Henry's age it was the same.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...