Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Home again, home again, jiggety jig

Yes, we're finally home. And while I can say that I am honestly grateful that my two boys had a fantastic vacation in every way, thanks to my family, I can just as honestly say that it was possibly the worst vacation I've ever had in my life. And the weird and wonderful thing that it did, by being so horrific, is that I feel renewed, now, to be at home. A fresh start! A new attitude! I know I sound a bit mad, but it's true -- at least in this moment, this series of moments and hours and hopefully, days.

I needed a vacation; I needed a break and I got neither.

What I did get when I landed in Los Angeles is chills when I felt the air outside the airport, warmth in my body when The Husband beamed at us as he helped us to the car, giggles when our dog Valentine peed on the floor when she saw us. The piles of mail were neatly stacked; The Husband had some good news about The Mistress; Mirtha, the goddess, had cleaned our house to such an extent that it almost sparkled. I blinked in thankfulness at its sweetness -- this home of ours -- I marveled at the lemon tree transplanted from a pot to the garden; I ate steak and macaroni and cheese and drank some kind of sparkly red wine; I watched all three episodes of Friday Night Lights that I'd missed when I was gone, under a blanket, in an un-air-conditioned house.

Oh, my.

And then David, my dear old friend sent me this LINK and I knew it was a SIGN.

21 comments:

  1. I am relieved to read this - that you are HOME - I'm so thankful that you feel GOOD again! Perhaps it's like Dorothy and the Ruby Slippers: "there's no place like home, there's no place like home..." I feel and imagine your joy and gratitude, and it makes me SO happy for you! God bless you and your precious family. WELCOME HOME! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Home!!!!! I just read the last few days. I'm so glad sophie's ok after that fall but so so sorry that it was neither break nor vacation for you. I know that feeling of renewal upon return -- yay for home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. an adventure...
    a getting to the other side.
    yeah, not a vacation or break.

    and yet ,
    I do so love the tone here.

    makes me smile just reading .

    heading to the airport in a few minutes,
    this one is going to be a bit rough, S was crying off and on quite a bit yesterday. First year nerves, plus she doesn't really hold emotions in ( of any form:) ),

    Hubby isn't coming as he leaves on an extended trip with another daughter for soccer tomorrow.

    enjoy your day home , hope it's all kinds of homey wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect homecoming. Even I feel more relieved, now that you are home. Is that odd?
    Now- explain- why is Chick Filet such a big deal? I never thought the food was that good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're home with sparkly wine and a comforter! I hope you have a few hours in the next days to regroup and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to get home after a journey away but this return seems particularly sweet and necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to read this. I hope you do get the break you so deserve in the days to come, but somehow after this trip, just being home is probably "break" enough for now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you are settling in and holding onto some of that excitement about being home. I just read the post about the anti-Obama billboards. I, too, find it scary that such ignorance can make such a big statement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome home! There's no place like it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to your home sweet home! Perhaps a Staycation will help the Vacation From Hell?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy for you that you're home at last!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home Elizabeth. As Karen says -- there's no place like home. Enjoy all that is comforting and familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome home! It makes me happy to think of you in your own house watching TV under a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woo-hoo!
    Now if school would open you could have some mini-staycations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. welcome home dear one...and all.

    i am packing right now and hope this week of days away will hold all the right blessings. hold on to yours!

    xoxoxoxoxox,
    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home! I can feel the sweet relief all the way from here (which is still Oregon, but not forever :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you are back. What a strange, long trip it was...

    ReplyDelete
  18. coach taylor makes the return home even better!

    glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, you made it!
    this post made me so happy.
    i hope you can keep this feeling, or keep finding it anyhow.
    the chicken will help, right?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...