Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Thank you, Dave --


for an idea for a late afternoon post. It's gorgeous, here, in Los Angeles, by the way, just the way I like it.

Dave is a newcomer to my blog and has begun to leave little nuggets or comments, here and there. I'm not sure, though, whether Dave is a troll or not because he doesn't have a blogger profile. Something tells me, though, that he's from Texas? Or maybe Arlington, VA?

Here's one of his comments on a post I wrote about two years ago when I had the honor of hearing John Updike, one of my literary heros, at UCLA:

wow, this says a lot about you. How do you feel now about Obama?

Maybe you should have listened to your parents, sounds like they knew right.

If Obama is proven to be the fool he looks like, will your children recgonize Rush Limbaugh knew more than you, and go listen to him speak at UCLA on warm Fall days? 


Dave -- what says a lot about me is that I LOVE a conflict, especially a political one. Your thinly veiled contempt is sort of bugging me enough to answer your questions above:


1. I feel now, about Obama, like I did when I voted for him. He's remarkably intelligent and reasoned, possesses the same values as I do -- or those that are "public" anyway. I fully recognize that he's a politician and a pretty damn good one at that. I do wish that he would push a little harder on the right. I go back and forth admiring and being frustrated by his ability to not enter the bullshit fray that the conservatives pull him into. But I recognize that he's governing the whole country, all the people and for the people.


2. My parents have always disliked Obama and still do. Happily, though, they have passed onto me a certain steadfastness in my beliefs. I'm not as fickle, I think, as the majority of the American populace and definitely that minority who would criticize Obama, despite having voted for him, barely two years into his term.


3. I disagree that Obama is a fool and as for Rush Limbaugh, I try not to think about him at all. If my kids go hear him speak at UCLA one day and he is as revered as John Updike (what the original post was about) -- well, hopefully, I'll be dead by then. 


4. From your other comment, you bemoaned the current state of children (namely, mine) as being unfazed by poverty, extreme crime and other modern ills. Uh -- with all due respect, what are you talking about?


Thanks, again, Dave for the dialog prompt. 



17 comments:

  1. Oooh, a troll! I am so jealous. Oh, wait, I have one too.

    Ok, jealous of the gorgeous weather.

    And, if we are going to get political, at least talk about American born people ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.

    as a single parent i find it fascinating that someone who is not a friend or family member, and who (seemingly) does not agree with you perspective, politics, etc, has time to visit your blog just to leave irradiated, inexpensive bon bons on your pillow.

    i adroe you, ye hardly find the time to drop in with my two cents...what a luxury!

    i must say (insert bon bon here) that i voted for obama two years ago; i did not expect miracles, i do not regret it, and i have begun to keep my politics to myself, but i do feel somewhat critical of the present administration.

    obama himself has quoted roosevelt(?) saying that the american public should hold him to the fire.

    surely you are not suggesting that if one voted for him a conflicting opinion is invalid or should be censored?

    p.s. i promise not to talk about money or religion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I dearly loved my troll dolls back in the day....and my favorite TREASURE of ALL TIME is a framed, autographed note my daughter got for me when John Updike (I love him and own all of his books...I'm a bit of a book slut...no, make that book ho') spoke at her college. It says, "Marion, good luck with your writing. John Updike". It's on ruled paper in a cheap little frame but I wouldn't take a million dollars for it.

    I try really hard not to discuss politics and religion. LOL! You're the cat's meow, Elizabeth. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrienne -- Not sure what you mean. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter what it is. It's the most basic right we have. I just personally hate how fickle and impatient a lot of people are in our country -- criticism of Obama is fine by me (and, like I said, I am disappointed in many of the things he's not done) -- I find it absurd, though, how quickly we villify someone whom we've built up to almost heroic heights...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion -- I love talking about politics and religion and find it sad that so much discourse in this country has been reduced to hysteria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Dave! He's stimulated some good conversation. And, I know a lot of people just like him. I'm related to a number of them. People that I cannot have an intelligent political or religious discussion with because they are too narrow minded. I wish Obama had been more demanding regarding a number of things but I'm still behind him just as I was when I voted for him. I cannot speak intelligently on rush limbaugh because I avoid him like I avoid the plague and sunburn and sean hannity.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh. Good one. But you know, you're giving this troll the attention he craves? Oh well.
    I, too, adore talking politics and religion. Much to my husband's discomfort. Again...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. trolls, politics, daves,...

    hummmm i think i'll stick to haikus.

    (great shot of dave, in spite of everything!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Dave is not a troll, he is on the right path to becoming one.

    Brilliant response.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea what a troll is in the blog world, I was simply replying to the Leave a comment box. If this is a private blog I will not post, but I believe private blogs are called Facebook.

    A couple thoughts to your replys.

    Obama possesses the same values as you? Would you sit in the Rev. J. Wright church for 20 years and claim not to listen to him? Is this your value? Do you believe bigger gov can help people other than handing them money? Would you describe an event that goes wrong as the Special Olympics? Would you be for the building of a Mosque and then against it?
    How about this one, would you help a girl with the burden of being pregnant by helping her with an abortion? These are values?

    I laughed last nite when Obama praised President Bush. They guy will do anything and say anything a this point with an approval rating closing in on the 30's.

    Also, your point about Obama being a great politician. History forgets the politician and remembers the man. See the big picture. Obama is fading quicker than Jimmy Carter, and in my lifetime I thought that to be impossible. Plese rethink the lessons of your parents.

    And I have always lived in L.A. and what a sad city it has become.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do believe this is a blog about raising a special needs child....not politics.

    Elizabeth I find you fabulous. Thank you for your unending support :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heart Dave because Dave makes you write really, really well. And I love reading your writing. I could read it all day long...and I don't even LIKE politics!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Elizabeth. I could just see the gleam in your dark-humored eyes as you typed that.
    You are kind and funny and smart.
    But I'm not sure how much time and energy should be spent on D___.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry, where did Elizabeth write that Obama is a "great" politician? Did I miss that somewhere, or were you misquoted?

    When did people forget that Rush Limbagh is, first and foremost, an entertainer? People take him too seriously. He's even begun taking himself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...