Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dear Emily,

Emily Dickinson's manuscript of "A route of evanescence"

Why is it that I can pick up a volume of your poetry on any day, at any moment and read the perfect words? Late last night, I opened my Shambhala The Pocket EMILY DICKINSON  to this:

That first Day's Night had come -
And grateful that a thing
So terrible - had been endured -
I told my Soul to sing -


She said her Strings were snapt -
Her Bow - to Atoms blown -
And so to mend her - gave me work
Until another Morn -


And then - a Day as huge
As Yesterdays in pairs,
Unrolled its horror in my face -
Until it blocked my eyes -


My Brain - begun to laugh -
I mumbled - like a fool -
And tho' tis Years ago - that Day -
My Brain keeps giggling - still.


And Something's odd - within -
That person that I was -
And this One - do not feel the same -
Could it be Madness - this?

(c.1862)

With most of your poetry, my initial reading is one of recognition. I suck in my breath. I understand. But then my eye, a lens, is humidified, clouds over and blurs. You recede, pulling, your words like a thread I can't keep hold of.

Reverently,
Elizabeth

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Elizabeth! \

    Truth has no expiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've perfectly expressed why I love poetry so much. It has powers: to heal, uplift, inform, educate, etc. I love Emily, too. She has no equal. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the offering of this lovely poem for us to enjoy...to read slowly and savor... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Respect her gifts. Thank you, again, for the poetry pointer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If so, we are all mad. And that's okay. And Emily makes it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a wonder.

    and while I didn't get the chance to tour her homestead , I can't wait to return .
    the grounds were sadly unkempt though. Which added more snark power to daughter and hubby. Figures. I tried to say it added to the whole tragic feel.

    I want to read her more , largely thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...