Monday, December 6, 2010

I don't know anything





Zen Master Dogen said that “not knowing is the most intimate thing.” Not knowing means to be open to all eventualities, to not prejudge a person or situation. If your mind is full of preconceived notions, there is no room for an unbiased view. It is like when your hands are full of objects, you cannot pick up anything new. A closed mind causes separation and suspicion. Like an umbrella, a mind is only useful when it is open. The first step toward maintaining an open mind is to understand the nature of mind or self.

--Gerry Shishin Wick

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to try not knowing anything. Sounds like a very good idea!

    I love that umbrella photo. I made a copy of it earlier this year and framed it for my office.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you I love your Christmas blog look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or as I always say, "I don't know shit."
    Does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is perfect because I know absolutely nothing. My mother was right all these years and it's actually a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do love this so,
    and the image to go with it floats my open soul!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...