Saturday, July 28, 2018

Saturday Evening Three-Line Movie Review



Far From the Tree*

directed by Rachel Dretzin
based on Andrew Solomon's Far From the Tree

It's a given that I'd rush to see this documentary, as I believe Andrew Solomon's book Far From the Tree should be at everyone's bedside and a probable replacement for the Gideon Bible which has been so grossly twisted by its most evangelical adherents. Solomon's book is about humanity for humanity, and in these grotesquely inhumane times when children with brown skin are kidnapped from their parents and put in confinement camps, Solomon's brilliant and compassionate view of difference and Dretzin's visual interpretation of that book, along with a sensitive portrayal of several families' experiences, make for profound viewing. Like the book, the documentary should resonate for everyone because it's about family and love and the gnarly twists and turns of life, for those who might interpret difference as tragedy and for those who know that to hold both tragedy and joy at once is the ultimate expression of grace.








* Andrew Solomon and several of the cast of the documentary attended the screening and answered questions afterward. Here are a couple of pictures that Carl took:







More Three-Line Movie Reviews:


Sorry to Bother You
RBG
Won't You Be My Neighbor?
Learning to Drive
Love and Mercy
Not a Three Line Movie Review
While We're Young
Ida

Force Majeur 
Gone Girl
Saint Vincent

Get on Up
Begin Again
Chef
The Immigrant

Cesar Chavez

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena

6 comments:

  1. I've not heard of this before. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read the book! I need to. I know I do. I know I would love it.
    And as always- great movie review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. As I always say, someone needs to pay you for these brilliant three line reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize they'd adapted this into a movie! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see this! I loved the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVED the book and wrote to Andrew to thank him. I have mentioned the book to parents in my clinic many times. He wrote back thanking me!!! What an amazing accomplishment.

    XXX Beth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...