Saturday, December 27, 2014

Saturday Three-Line Movie Review



Ida

Directed by Pawel Pawlikowski, this Polish film set in the early 1960s and the Stalin dictatorship, is so staggeringly beautiful that I am hard put to even attach words to it. The title character is a young woman who has grown up in an orphanage run by nuns, and before becoming one herself, she is told by the Mother Superior that she must seek the truth of her heritage, a journey that leads to her aunt, an embittered yet valiant and beautiful woman, a state judge and loyal member of the Communist Party. Shot in black and white with an extraordinary number of still moments that defy all your expectations of what film -- moving pictures -- can do to your mind and heart, Ida made me gasp, mesmerized me and is my favorite movie of 2014.







More 3-Line Movie Reviews

Force Majeur 

Gone Girl
Saint Vincent

Get on Up
Begin Again
Chef
The Immigrant

Cesar Chavez

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gloria

Labor Day 
Philomena


4 comments:

  1. I just saw the trailer for this movie the other day. Looks good but I doubt it will make it to Edmonton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our paper today there were two "best movies of 2014" lists by two different reviewers. "Ida" was on both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew and I would agree with your review of Ida. We saw it a few months ago. I, of course, had to read the subtitles. Andrew, fluent in Polish, had the added joy of hearing his native language beautifully spoken.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! I missed this completely when it came out, I guess, but just found it on iTunes.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...